Old 24-07-2003, 08:59 AM
Christopher Norton

Default Banned Herbicides && Pesticides

What you get when you interview someone such as Monty Don on the radio
is a very opinionated version of whats going on. Everyone who has read
one of his books knows he`s absolutley 100% organic and that works for
him a treat. However, you do have to give some balence to the argument
rather than just the one side. It`s the same with the GM crop debate. No
one wants GM food but we dont actually know why we dont as there is`nt
enough published research about the matter because we dont want it so we
stop the trials!!!

Monty Don was giving HIS opinion and that is all. We have the same right
as him to do so.

So here`s my opinion. They have gone too far with some of the banished
substances. Indeed, in professional life they are getting rid of the
most common timber preservative and instead are going to heavy metals
instead! I prefer the CCA to the new ones. Just my opinion and is`nt
based on anything else.

As for the idea of us all giving all the substances back it`s laughable.
Who on gods earth is going to police it. I can just imagine the courts
being full of 70 year olds "you are charged with the posession of a
banned substance - Creosote. How do you plead?".

Off to the garden center to stock up on some real insectiside.
Old 25-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Christopher Norton

Take a look at

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/Blue_Bo...authorised.htm

This is the list of banned substances and IMHO I do not see Glyphosate
in there.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 25-07-2003, 12:23 PM
Steve Harris

In article ,
(Christopher Norton) wrote:

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/Blue_Bo...d_non_authoris
ed.htm

This is the list of banned substances and IMHO I do not see Glyphosate
in there.

I fear that list is incomplete or out of date. According to it, nothing
has been banned since 1993

Old 26-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Jeff Coles

Try this link
http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/farmers...ith_unsupporte
d_actives.htm#amateur

Jeff

Old 16-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from martin contains these words:

What is important, is what consumers think they are buying in
supermarkets when they buy organic. Perhaps a bit of publicity is
needed to clarify this for the woman with the shopping trolley.

That's a very sexist and patronising assumption you're making.

Contrary to evidence in this thread, not all men are off their
trolleys, and many of them are educable.

Janet.

Old 16-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
That's a very sexist and patronising assumption you're making.

Contrary to evidence in this thread, not all men are off their
trolleys, and many of them are educable.

Quite so, but perhaps Martin was suggesting that women generally have a
better understanding about the benefits of organic produce than men?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 16-08-2003, 08:42 AM
martin

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:15:05 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

What is important, is what consumers think they are buying in
supermarkets when they buy organic. Perhaps a bit of publicity is
needed to clarify this for the woman with the shopping trolley.

That's a very sexist and patronising assumption you're making.

It wasn't intended to be sexist and I don't see why you use the word
patronising. Don't women do most of the food shopping in the UK and if
not what the hell are they doing cluttering up supermarkets in vast
numbers? Waiting for Elvis.

Contrary to evidence in this thread, not all men are off their
trolleys, and many of them are educable.

My point is that people do not know exactly what is meant by organic
food. I quote the BBC. If they did I doubt that many would spend the
extra money needed to buy it.
My wife is a highly educated woman, she was as shocked as I was, when
we found out what the UK organic food industry really meant by
"organic".
--
Martin
Old 16-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from martin contains these words:

What is important, is what consumers think they are buying in
supermarkets when they buy organic. Perhaps a bit of publicity is
needed to clarify this for the woman with the shopping trolley.

That's a very sexist and patronising assumption you're making.

My wife and I were at Sainsbury's yesterday.
There were at least ten women to each man pushing a trolley, so the
statement to which you are objecting has some statistical backing.
Also, my wife will not allow me to do the shopping, since I am too stupid in
such matters.

Franz

Old 16-08-2003, 10:02 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Franz Heymann
writes
That's a very sexist and patronising assumption you're making.

My wife and I were at Sainsbury's yesterday.
There were at least ten women to each man pushing a trolley, so the
statement to which you are objecting has some statistical backing.

Sample size = 1.

Try shopping at 3am - you might gain a different impression.

Also, my wife will not allow me to do the shopping, since I am too
stupid in such matters.

Education is wasted on men.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 16-08-2003, 10:43 AM
martin

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 08:42:20 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from martin contains these words:

What is important, is what consumers think they are buying in
supermarkets when they buy organic. Perhaps a bit of publicity is
needed to clarify this for the woman with the shopping trolley.

That's a very sexist and patronising assumption you're making.

My wife and I were at Sainsbury's yesterday.
There were at least ten women to each man pushing a trolley, so the
statement to which you are objecting has some statistical backing.
Also, my wife will not allow me to do the shopping, since I am too stupid in
such matters.

They can be very patronising too. :-)

I once explained to my wife that Sainsbury's, at least, was arranged
in a logical manner, their website used explain the logic, and how it
was aimed at making shopping easy, quick and efficient.
A random maximised route through Sainsbury's seems to be preferred.
--
Martin

Old 16-08-2003, 11:03 AM
martin

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:52:24 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , Franz Heymann
writes
That's a very sexist and patronising assumption you're making.

My wife and I were at Sainsbury's yesterday.
There were at least ten women to each man pushing a trolley, so the
statement to which you are objecting has some statistical backing.

Sample size = 1.

me too sample size =2

Try shopping at 3am - you might gain a different impression.

3 a.m. is not a suitable time to gather general statistics.

e.g. at 3.a.m. most pubs have no customers, there are few buses and
even fewer trains, airports are closed, birds rarely fly, mowing the
lawn is considered eccentric. The police lock themselves in for the
night, it is always dark....

Some of us are in bed with our wives at 3 a.m.
Which excuse do you give for getting up in the middle of the night to
sample shoppers and does she believe you?

Also, my wife will not allow me to do the shopping, since I am too
stupid in such matters.

Education is wasted on men.

Somebody has succeeded in teaching you to read and write.
You have some learning difficulties with the real meaning of
scientific words but otherwise .......... :-)
--
Martin
Old 16-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Franz Heymann
writes
That's a very sexist and patronising assumption you're making.

My wife and I were at Sainsbury's yesterday.
There were at least ten women to each man pushing a trolley, so the
statement to which you are objecting has some statistical backing.

Sample size = 1.

OH, we were also at Booths the previous week, at Asda a short while earlier
an at a Morrisons........

Try shopping at 3am - you might gain a different impression.

No thanks!

Also, my wife will not allow me to do the shopping, since I am too
stupid in such matters.

Education is wasted on men.

Sample size 1? {:-))

Franz

Old 16-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

That is the only possible strategy in ours. They change the positioning of
the goods too frequently.

Franz

Old 16-08-2003, 08:02 PM
martin

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 17:47:34 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

I once explained to my wife that Sainsbury's, at least, was arranged
in a logical manner, their website used explain the logic, and how it
was aimed at making shopping easy, quick and efficient.
A random maximised route through Sainsbury's seems to be preferred.

That is the only possible strategy in ours. They change the positioning of
the goods too frequently.

and there's nothing on their website about the layout of the items on
sale anymore. In fact there's not a lot on their web site to do with
what's in their supermarkets at all.
--
Martin
Old 19-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

My own view is that the most certain way to be sure that food being
consumed is genuinely organic, environmentally friendly and really fresh
is to grow it ones self. The next best option is to go to growers'
markets, or to trade direct with a local accredited grower. A very
popular way of doing that is the 'box' scheme, where deliveries are made
at regular intervals to customers. Most box schemes however have a
waiting list due demand always exceeding available supply.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

We have a local farmer who has converted a good deal of his land to
Organic for box schemes and he has 9 vans running around all over the
place. Even goes down to London! (Good 2 1/2 hours from here)

Must be damn good business if you ask me.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use