GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Deer deterrent (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/38179-deer-deterrent.html)

Malcolm 24-07-2003 09:05 PM

Deer deterrent

Can anyone recommend a deer deterrent?

Malcolm

Serenity 24-07-2003 10:32 PM

Deer deterrent

Lion poo from your zoo.

"Malcolm" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a deer deterrent?

Malcolm

Rusty Hinge 24-07-2003 10:50 PM

Deer deterrent

The message
from "Malcolm" contains these words:

Can anyone recommend a deer deterrent?

Lions' dung.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.

Bob Hobden 24-07-2003 11:05 PM

Deer deterrent

"Malcolm" wrote in message ...
Can anyone recommend a deer deterrent?

You may have seen in GardenCentres Japanese bamboo water features that fill
with water and then tip over to bang on a rock and let the water out, then
they pivot back up and the cycle starts again. These are actually Japanese
deer scarers. The rhythmic banging is said to frighten them away.
I have also heard that an empty plastic bottle upturned over a bamboo cane
which is then pushed into the soil at a slight angle works too, and on the
same principle, the wind will make it rattle on the cane. We actually use
them as bird scarers on the allotments in combination with hanging AOL
cd-roms.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

bnd777 24-07-2003 11:22 PM

Deer deterrent

I am told that spraying bushes etc with greenfly/blackfly spray keeps deer
off

AndWhyNot 25-07-2003 09:19 AM

Deer deterrent

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:50:15 +0100, "Malcolm"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a deer deterrent?

Malcolm

Shotgun and a freezer ?

Stephen Howard 25-07-2003 12:32 PM

Deer deterrent

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a deer deterrent?

A cloth soaked with your own urine is worth a try.
Hang it about three feet off the ground near the deer's point of entry
into your garden.

I've had terrible problems with deer in my garden, and I found this
curious method quite effective.
It's a lot easier than finding lion dung!

You could also try stringing up a few of those unwanted AOL
CD-Roms...the reflective surface catches the light in a breeze and may
scare the deer off ( assuming there's a breeze, and assuming they're
not raiding your garden in the wee small hours ).

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Roy Bailey 27-07-2003 05:34 PM

Deer deterrent

In article , Stephen Howard
writes
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a deer deterrent?

You could also try stringing up a few of those unwanted AOL
CD-Roms...the reflective surface catches the light in a breeze and may
scare the deer off ( assuming there's a breeze, and assuming they're
not raiding your garden in the wee small hours ).

I'll go along with that. I have recently planted an orchard of apples
and pears on some reasonably open land near here, and once the saplings
started showing out of the tops of the protective tubes they were
nibbled by deer. I strung a line of CDs along one side and have had no
trouble since.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Scott L. Hadley 28-07-2003 02:32 AM

Deer deterrent

Coyote urine. Beginning to catch on in the US and sold in gc's here..
Son and I were wondering how the stuff is "harvested" from these willd
dogs, however. Not sure I want to know.