Old 25-07-2003, 01:07 AM
Registered User

Default Stihl strimmers

Have picked up some good advice from this board so could do with a bit of input.

I have recently volunteered to do a bit of strimming for my local church in the graveyard as that is where my mother is buried. The place is pretty overgrown (weeds, long grass and some brambles) and a strimmer/brushcutter is the only way to go as there is no space for a mower because many of the graves have stone surrounds.

So its a strimmer and I decided to get a decent one that will make the job as easy as possible. I have more or less decided on a stihl fs80/85 or an fs400.

What I would like to know is:

1. Am I doing overkill (I might have about 4 acres of graveyard to strim) so I wnat it to be as easy as possible.

2. I can forsee a problem of hitting the stone with the nylon, so how do I make sure I can strim right against the gravestones and avoid damaging them or the strimmer. I have been told that I should have autofeed, but I have seen people make modifications, which tends to stop them going through tons of strimmer line. I dont mind about going through line, just dont want to be stopping and starting every few minutes. Should I get a nylon blade?

Thanks for any advice.

I can see a helmet, ear protectors, some gloves and strong shoes should be uses
Old 25-07-2003, 10:02 AM
david

Good for you. First, an indelicate question. What age are you?

I've used brush cutters for about 25 years now, starting with a McCulloch and now using a Stihl, which has proven fine, and I am now almost 60. I gradually have found their weight something to bear in mind since serious work (can take several hours) in bad posture and with a heavy machine can be pretty uncomfortable. And I am strong!

I use a cheapish helmet with a visor and ear muffs - it's wonderful. And I dress properly. The little stones can hurt.

I also have several corded strimmers - Flymo, Black and Decker etc., and have just bought a cordless one. Strictly for the little 10 minute jobs.

They come with autofeed, which personally I hate. It wastes cord, goes wrong and you never know whether it's working or not. Maybe I've had bad luck.

Given the size of job you have in mind I would use 4mm cord on a head with one or four strands. I'd steer clear of nylon blades.
As for hitting the gravestones, it's all a question of technique. You must try not to strim the stone all the time because it sure wears out the cord.
all the best
david

Old 25-07-2003, 02:12 PM
David Hill

"....... I'd steer clear of nylon blades ......."
Interesting, I find them good on rough grass, Tussocks , nettles etc.

What don't you like about them?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 25-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Registered User

Default Strimmers again

Hi David

I am 35 I should be ok and think the main bit may be about 2 acres, I can go slowly as well.

I think the Stihls I had in mind may be overkill, but the bigger one which weighs 161b comes th a full harness and the smaller one comes with a shoulder harness as well and weighs 10lb. I could do with the exerciise and am not under any strict deadline.

I think I will have plenty of opportunity to get the technique right.

thanks for your advice.
Old 25-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Bob Hobden

"999tigger" wrote in message
I am 35 I should be ok and think the main bit may be about 2 acres, I
can go slowly as well.

I think the Stihls I had in mind may be overkill, but the bigger one
which weighs 161b comes th a full harness and the smaller one comes
with a shoulder harness as well and weighs 10lb. I could do with the
exerciise and am not under any strict deadline.

I think I will have plenty of opportunity to get the technique right.

thanks for your advice.
--

One tip for increased line life is to ensure it is kept moist, even wet,
never let it dry out because then it becomes brittle.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 26-07-2003, 12:33 AM
Akkerman's Plektrum

One tip for increased line life is to ensure it is kept moist, even wet,
never let it dry out because then it becomes brittle.

--
Bob

I have an old B&D strimmer and have metres of plastic line, but the tap and
lengthen method never worked well from day one and the blade vanished a long
time ago. I'm forever turning it upside down and loosening drum and feeding
the line through manually. I'm wondering if I could use a measured length of
8 strand wire.
Mik

Old 26-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Jeff Coles

Hi,
I use a large "Lawn-Flite" strimmer, which has handlebars and harness, the machine is quite heavy but can be balanced well by moving the handlebars and carefull adjustment of the harness.

Iit originally came with a steel brushcutting blade, I have replaced this with a head which will take nylon stimming line. It is neither auto-feed or bump feed.The cutting head requires 6"-7" lengths of stimming line which are easily inserted into the head and held in place by special grippers. I buy bulk rolls of stimming line and it is available in round, star and square profiles and is available in different thicknesses from fine to about 1/8" diameter. I precut a couple of dozen lengths and when the line gets a bit ragged just push the old line through a thread the new line in, ejecting the old line in the process, this just takes seconds to do.

The new head cost just over £20, but its well worth it and economical to use, I believe auto-feeds can waste line and bump-feeds are prone to jamming. I can't remember the name of the manucfacturer, but will post details tomorrow ( its a bit late to go down to the shed now! plus the bogeyman might get me!!).

Jeff
Old 26-07-2003, 08:03 AM
AndWhyNot

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:57:30 +0100, "Jeff Coles"
wrote:

[...]

Now Jeff don't be silly ...... eveyone knows the bogeyman does not
come out in the summer .................
Old 26-07-2003, 10:02 AM
david

I find them expensive, in the first place (compared with cord), and they
break. Maybe I've been unlucky. I have rough ground, so there is occasional
bramble, gorse, broom, apart from oak seedlings etc. I used to have a device
with three retractable small (1") steel blades, and a gliding bowl, and this
worked wonders for me on the tough grass. Then I tried nylon, with no end of
trouble.
David