Old 31-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Kay Easton

Default Irritating Neighbour's Water Feature

In article , BK
writes

Here's my reality, I'm not making it up, honest.

snip

And my reality:

Retired couple next door with drum kit in the basement (Actually I don't
mind, but some people might)
Church on the other side with daily services and 3 on Sunday
Church bell (note singular - no Plain Bob Minor here) rung up to 50
times before Sunday services
Main A-road in front, with continuous traffic, heavy lorries, concrete
mixers, screaming ambulances, police cars and fire engines
A fair in the park opposite
'Recycling centre' 50 yds as the crow flies
Sewage works sending up interesting smells from the valley below.
Accumulation point for bin bags in front of our front garden, meaning
that, after the local stray dogs have visited, most of it ends up in our
front garden
Neighbours at the bottom of the garden who feel that the phrase 'shut
the **** up you little ******' has a place in child rearing

Very few people are lucky enough *not* to have things in their vicinity
that they'd rather were not there.

But set against the above, there is the large house, the cellars, the
big garden, the open spaces all around, the good schools, the local
community, the friends that my children have in the area, the
supermarket 10 mins away and the garage shop on the corner, the nearby
countryside, the swimming pool within walking distance ...

It'd take a lot to get me to move from here!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 01-08-2003, 04:05 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

And my reality:

and mine

Next door..elderly couple, no pets, who spend their life indoors.
Other side, golfers' "second home" only occupied for about 3 weeks a
year. Front; potholed deadend lane. Typical daily traffic, one postvan,
four cars, all dead slow; half a dozen walkers. Back; sheep, seagulls,
buzzards, sea. Occasional helicopter. Faint sound of "bingbong"
announcement when ferry approaches/leaves harbour.

Janet.

Old 01-08-2003, 11:03 AM
hugh

In message , martin
writes
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:05:57 +0100, Mike
wrote:

In article , martin
writes
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 19:47:24 +0100, PJ wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:42:50 +0100, martin wrote
(in message ):

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:47:30 +0100, PJ wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:23:42 +0100, martin wrote
(in message ):

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:15:35 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"
wrote:

I think you need to be grateful you dont have neighbours with a
Swimming
Pool,Wind chimes and Leylandii

and a pub with a teenage disco
and an airport just up the road.........

and the road is a motorway...

with a 5 level interchange.....
and a potential TGV line at the bottom of your garden...........
under which is a tube station...

........ full of football hooligans drunks and buskers
.......near by, on a small lake are 20 jet skiers revving their
engines....
...... their noise is almost drowned by the Formula 1 cars on the
local race track..
12 Tornados on reheat climb lazily into the sky.....
whilst the local church bells toll incessantly.......

almost drowning out the gentle purr of the lawn mowers and the hedge
trimmers and the DIYers Electric Drills.

and the neighbour breaking up his concrete path with a sledge hammer

I think you have all gone just a little over the top ;-)

not forgetting the Swiss yodellers in the valley........
the Phil Collins wannabe with the drums in the flat upstairs
the neighbour's baying rotweilers
excited by the tom cats fighting under the bedroom window..

I don't mind any of that - it's that f***** cock crowing at 5 am that
gets me!!
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid

Old 01-08-2003, 06:03 PM
AndWhyNot

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:29:02 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

And my reality:

and mine

Next door..elderly couple, no pets, who spend their life indoors.
Other side, golfers' "second home" only occupied for about 3 weeks a
year. Front; potholed deadend lane. Typical daily traffic, one postvan,
four cars, all dead slow; half a dozen walkers. Back; sheep, seagulls,
buzzards, sea. Occasional helicopter. Faint sound of "bingbong"
announcement when ferry approaches/leaves harbour.

Janet.

No next door neighbours ...... we live in a field (literally)
depending on the time of season we have cauliflowers to our right,
dutch cabbage to our left, wheat at the back, quiet road at the front
with sugar beet beyond it!

Nearest neighbour (farmer) really really nice people, next nearest
elderly couple, really really nice !! We all look out for each other
and nothing is really too much trouble ..........

Flaming sparrows really make a noise in the morning though :-))))

Old 01-08-2003, 06:03 PM
martin

wrote:

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

And my reality:

and mine

Next door..elderly couple, no pets, who spend their life indoors.
Other side, golfers' "second home" only occupied for about 3 weeks a
year. Front; potholed deadend lane. Typical daily traffic, one postvan,
four cars, all dead slow; half a dozen walkers. Back; sheep, seagulls,
buzzards, sea. Occasional helicopter. Faint sound of "bingbong"
announcement when ferry approaches/leaves harbour.

Janet.

No next door neighbours ...... we live in a field (literally)
depending on the time of season we have cauliflowers to our right,
dutch cabbage to our left, wheat at the back, quiet road at the front
with sugar beet beyond it!

Sounds worse than E Anglia :-)

Nearest neighbour (farmer) really really nice people, next nearest
elderly couple, really really nice !! We all look out for each other
and nothing is really too much trouble ..........

Flaming sparrows really make a noise in the morning though :-))))

and the farmer's bird scarer cannon?

--
Martin
Old 04-08-2003, 04:13 AM
Graham

My neighbour has a little waterfall in their pond. ....etc

I have similar problem. The water feature in question makes an
excruciating trickling sound; fine in daytime and winter/autumn, but
when you need the bedroom window open on sultry nights.... I've given
in and closed the window. Its that or earplugs.

I wrote suggesting a timer.. no reply.
I guess putting the system into open loop may be rather unhealthy for
their pump....I wonder if they're holdidaying this year ?

Regards
Graham
Old 26-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Jeannie

Default Water feature

"Vass" wrote in message
Hi there of fountain of knowledge

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good informative web sites to
assist me in the construction
of a stream in my garden

Many thanks
Vass

For general information, you could try these sites:

http://www.wildaboutgardening.org/en...summerfeature/

or this

http://www.backyardgardener.com/pondlady/waterfall.html

for general information

Or for more detailed info search on Amazon (or go to a normal bookshop).
There areloads of books that you can buy about building ponds and streams.

HTH
Jeannie

---

Mossies in water feature Teddy Australia 19 05-12-2004 01:09 AM
How to be an irritating neighbour. Mich United Kingdom 128 20-08-2003 09:02 AM
Method running water from creek to garden water feature lee brown Gardening 1 23-04-2003 04:32 AM
Water feature gary linley Gardening 5 29-03-2003 04:56 AM
Water Feature gary linley Gardening 3 18-03-2003 10:32 AM