Old 26-07-2003, 08:02 PM
PJ

Default Irritating Neighbour's Water Feature

Hi

I have a notion that a newsgroup for neighbour issues would be rather useful
as I see so many coming up here

My neighbour issue is extremely minor indeed really but I'm wondering what
the situation is in law or whatever.

My neighbour has a little waterfall in their pond. I think it's great that
they have a pond, but the problem is the little waterfall which makes a most
irritating noise 24 hours a day. It sounds a bit like gutter which is
overflowing or something, it really doesn't sound like a waterfall at all.

Oddly enough the problem is greatest at night because it is so quiet at night
that the sound of the "waterfall" is really loud. I actually rather enjoy
toodling around in my garage at night and it's a nuisance having this sound
at night.

What I have considered is suggesting to them that they turn it off at night.
I don't mind it so much during the day because my area is not particularly
quiet so it sort of blends in with the general background noise more.

The problem is that I anticipate they will tell me "where to go" if I request
this as that does tend to be their style rather...

So if they refuse to turn if off at night is there anything that can be done
about it?

--
Patrick

Old 26-07-2003, 08:03 PM
bnd777

Thoroughly agree that a newsgroup for Neighbour Issues would be useful
Problem is theres considerate neighbours who would not dream of upsetting
anyone and certainly would not create noise or grow Leylandi etc and then
theres the new breed of folk who consider its their God given right to do
what the hell they please without any consideration for anyone else and
basically theres almost nothing in law you can do about it
. com...

Old 26-07-2003, 08:03 PM
The Q

"PJ" wrote in message
[...]

Saddly I doubt the waterfall will register on a councils noise meter, as

they are the ones you would have to complain to. though doing this would
make you liable to report noisy neighbours when you come to sell your house!
If it's not too obvious where it came from and providing no wild life are
involved, a litle washing up liquid would quieten things down and make for
an interesting faom feature!!!

The Q

Old 26-07-2003, 08:13 PM
M C C

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 19:49:47 +0100, PJ wrote:

[...]

Offer to pay for a time switch for the pump and set it to go off say at
11 p.m. and come back on at 7 a.m., plug it in and enjoy the silence :-)
--
M C C
26/7/2003 20:02:45
Old 26-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Alan Gould

In article , PJ
writes

So if they refuse to turn if off at night is there anything that can be done
about it?

Your best move would be to talk to your neighbour about it. If that
brings no result, your Local Authority should be able to advise you.
They would see it more as an environmental issue than a gardening one,
and they would probably want to know if other neighbours are affected.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 26-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Annabel

"PJ" wrote in message
. com...
Hi

I have a notion that a newsgroup for neighbour issues would be rather

useful
as I see so many coming up here

My neighbour issue is extremely minor indeed really but I'm wondering

what
the situation is in law or whatever.

It does appear to be a minor problem, one that you should perhaps just
put out of your head, putting soap in the water as a replyer suggested
is very unfriendly and may be seen as first blood. I do wonder how much
noise your " toodling around " in the garage generates as I would have
thought it can't be much less than a little waterfall.

Annabel

Old 26-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Michael Saunby

"Annabel" wrote in message

"PJ" wrote in message
. com...
Hi

I have a notion that a newsgroup for neighbour issues would be rather

useful
as I see so many coming up here

My neighbour issue is extremely minor indeed really but I'm wondering

what
the situation is in law or whatever.

It does appear to be a minor problem, one that you should perhaps just
put out of your head, putting soap in the water as a replyer suggested
is very unfriendly and may be seen as first blood. I do wonder how much
noise your " toodling around " in the garage generates as I would have
thought it can't be much less than a little waterfall.

Surely the subject heading say's all you need to know. If it was the water
feature that he found irritating the subject would have read "Neighbour's
irritating water feature".

Of course if the neighbour wasn't irritating then I expect the matter could
be discussed, and likely resolved, next time they're all down the pub
together.

Michael Saunby

Old 26-07-2003, 09:42 PM
martin

[...]

You could try contacting the dam busters.
--
martin
Old 26-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Mike

In article , PJ
writes
[...]

When I lived in Leicester, I had a church right next door. The back door
to the church room was alongside our house. They had lots of activities
at the church room, every night of the week something was on, Boys
Brigade, Woman's Institute, Guides, Brownies, Cubs, Scouts and on this
back door they had a self closing length of rubber. Open the door, nip
in, door closes itself BANG, someone else goes through BANG, the next
person BANG.

A quick visit and a quiet word to the organiser, church official, Scout
Master, Brownie Leader as their people were going through the door and
letting it go BANG, BANG, BANG soon had the rubber taken off and
instructions to all to close the door quietly.

Go and visit your neighbour and ASK :-))
"Management is nothing more than motivating other people"
Lee Iacocca

Old 27-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Bob Hobden

"M C C" wrote in message

My neighbour has a little waterfall in their pond. I think it's great

that
they have a pond, but the problem is the little waterfall which makes a

most
irritating noise 24 hours a day. It sounds a bit like gutter which is
overflowing or something, it really doesn't sound like a waterfall at

all.

Offer to pay for a time switch for the pump and set it to go off say at
11 p.m. and come back on at 7 a.m., plug it in and enjoy the silence :-)
--

One problem with that is that if they have fish it is better for them if the
waterfall is working at night, when the plants are using oxygen, so that

Try just asking nicely, they may make a change to the outfall that will make
all the difference. At least it might sound nice. :-)

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 27-07-2003, 06:13 PM
PJ

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:50:48 +0100, Annabel wrote
(in message ):

It does appear to be a minor problem, one that you should perhaps just
put out of your head, putting soap in the water as a replyer suggested
is very unfriendly and may be seen as first blood. I do wonder how much
noise your " toodling around " in the garage generates as I would have
thought it can't be much less than a little waterfall.

You might well be right perhaps I should put it out of my head

In my defence the toodling around in the garage is very quiet. Perhaps it is
just that the waterfall was not there at one time and so the night was very
quiet out the back, and now it is there.

If it continues to irritate I think my most likely move is to offer to pay
for a time-switch as suggested elsewhere. It might well be that I'll just
stop noticing it after a while.

--
Patrick

Old 27-07-2003, 06:14 PM
PJ

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:39:35 +0100, Mike wrote
(in message ):

Go and visit your neighbour and ASK :-))

Yes, I might to this. I'm "emboldened" by the time-switch idea which has been
suggested.

--
Patrick

Old 27-07-2003, 06:14 PM
PJ

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:41:48 +0100, martin wrote
(in message ):

You could try contacting the dam busters.

Or playing the dam busters music sufficiently loudly to overcome the sound of
the water-feature

--
Patrick

Old 27-07-2003, 06:14 PM
PJ

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:10:50 +0100, Alan Gould wrote
(in message ):

Your best move would be to talk to your neighbour about it. If that
brings no result, your Local Authority should be able to advise you.
They would see it more as an environmental issue than a gardening one,
and they would probably want to know if other neighbours are affected.

Yes, I think you are right. Oddly enough I have found the posting here to be
cathartic and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll just stop noticing it after a
while

I think if I am to approach them buying them a time-switch might be the best
idea.

--
Patrick

Old 27-07-2003, 06:14 PM
PJ

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:02:45 +0100, M C C wrote
(in message ):

Offer to pay for a time switch for the pump and set it to go off say at
11 p.m. and come back on at 7 a.m., plug it in and enjoy the silence :-)

It's a very good idea!

--
Patrick

Mossies in water feature Teddy Australia 19 05-12-2004 01:09 AM
How to be an irritating neighbour. Mich United Kingdom 128 20-08-2003 09:02 AM
Method running water from creek to garden water feature lee brown Gardening 1 23-04-2003 04:32 AM
Water feature gary linley Gardening 5 29-03-2003 04:56 AM
Water Feature gary linley Gardening 3 18-03-2003 10:32 AM