Old 28-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Snowman

Default Shreddings

I've recently been bought a garden shredder, so am happily pruning trees and
shredding most of the branches - including the smaller parts of a big branch
that fell off an ash tree. But what do I do with the shredded material,
which is a mixture of chopped wood and leaves? Can I just spread it around
the garden as has been suggested to me, do I need to compost it first, or is
it suitable for both? Or does it depend on what has been shredded?

Peter.

Old 28-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Oxymel of Squill

I chuck it around the 'woodlandy' bits of the garden, I think you can
compost it but it will take a fair time because of the wood. see the other
posting 'composted bark'

Jon

Old 28-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Snowman
writes
I've recently been bought a garden shredder, so am happily pruning trees and
shredding most of the branches - including the smaller parts of a big branch
that fell off an ash tree. But what do I do with the shredded material,
which is a mixture of chopped wood and leaves? Can I just spread it around
the garden as has been suggested to me, do I need to compost it first, or is
it suitable for both? Or does it depend on what has been shredded?

You can do either. It composts quite well - generates a lot of heat. But
I've always just spread it - composting first just seems to be adding an
extra process.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 28-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Snowman" wrote in message
I've recently been bought a garden shredder, so am happily pruning trees

and
shredding most of the branches - including the smaller parts of a big

branch
that fell off an ash tree. But what do I do with the shredded material,
which is a mixture of chopped wood and leaves? Can I just spread it around
the garden as has been suggested to me, do I need to compost it first, or

is
it suitable for both? Or does it depend on what has been shredded?

Peter.

It composts well, so if you are a compost type gardener add it to your
"heap" I pefer to put mine straight on the ground and let the worms etc do
the work :~).

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 28-07-2003, 06:22 PM
bnd777

Much the best bet is to mix with grass clippings ,horse manure if you can
get it plus any weeds and kitchen waste and put it in compost bins
.............mixed well with addition of sulphate of ammonia or buckets of
urine you will have good compost in 6 to 9 months

Old 28-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Michael Berridge

Snowman wrote in message
I've recently been bought a garden shredder, so am happily pruning

trees and
shredding most of the branches - including the smaller parts of a big

branch
that fell off an ash tree. But what do I do with the shredded material,
which is a mixture of chopped wood and leaves? Can I just spread it

around
the garden as has been suggested to me, do I need to compost it first,

or is
it suitable for both? Or does it depend on what has been shredded?

It will utilise nitrogen as is rots down, so it may well be advisable to
allow it to stand a few months and then spread it over the garden.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 28-07-2003, 10:33 PM
David Hill

I do wonder about the outcome of all the shredders/chippers we now use.
In the past hedging was done in the winter and all stuff burned.
Now with our great machines winter shredding/chipping is not as good as the
material produced from summer cutting when you have a good mix of old wood,
soft young wood and a generous helping of leaves.
This latter mix composts down so much better but what effect will it have on
hedges over time?
I have been composting in the bulk bags that sand etc now comes in, these
are now non returnable and make great holders for rubbish etc. ^ months in
one of those and then I have a great material for standing pots on in the
frames, good drainage, keeps the weeds down and slugs don't seem to be to
happy walking on it.
If you are going to compost to use as a mulch then I would dress a couple of
times with high nitrogen.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 28-07-2003, 11:03 PM
ned

Snowman wrote:
I've recently been bought a garden shredder, so am happily pruning
trees and shredding most of the branches - including the smaller
parts of a big branch that fell off an ash tree. But what do I do
with the shredded material, which is a mixture of chopped wood and
leaves? Can I just spread it around the garden as has been suggested
to me, do I need to compost it first, or is it suitable for both? Or
does it depend on what has been shredded?

I use a lot of shreddings on paths (away from the house). They give a
lovely soft woodlandy feel underfoot. But you might get a few grumbles
from 'the housekeeper' if you try it too close to home. ;-)
As a deep mulch the decomposing heat makes a good weed suppressant.

--
ned

Old 29-07-2003, 08:02 AM
Gordon Filby

as one of the other repliers I just dump it on my vegetable plot in Autumn.
Last year it was about 10 cm thick and was all but disappeared by the Spring

Gordon Filby
in Karlsruhe, SW Germany

Old 31-07-2003, 05:33 PM
BridgeP

We get lots of shreddings, both from our owm m/c and the electricity board who
have been cutting back branches. We find the best use is to leave it in a big
pile exposed to the elements. Afetr about 6 weks it makes a good mulch.

Peter Bridge

Use shreddings to fill cracks in clay? French_Fry United Kingdom 8 21-10-2016 03:53 PM
Leylandii Shreddings 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 10 05-10-2011 07:46 AM
Ivy shreddings Mike United Kingdom 7 14-04-2006 09:25 AM
What to do with shreddings Janet Galpin United Kingdom 21 19-10-2005 06:02 PM
shreddings H Ryder United Kingdom 7 23-07-2005 09:09 AM