GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What looks good growing on brick? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/38688-what-looks-good-growing-brick.html)

GoldDustRhiannon 29-07-2003 12:06 PM

What looks good growing on brick?

I'm trying to find something to grow up trellis on a the front of my house -
south facing brick. Any suggestions for something eye catching?

Thanks!
Lorraine

Pam Moore 29-07-2003 06:03 PM

What looks good growing on brick?

On 29 Jul 2003 11:02:38 GMT, ojunk
(GoldDustRhiannon) wrote:

I'm trying to find something to grow up trellis on a the front of my house -
south facing brick. Any suggestions for something eye catching?

Where are you? S. facing in which part of country? Is it fairly
sheltered?
Trachelospermum jasminoides is evergreen, has scented white flowers
NOW and is easily trained, but is not totally hardy.

Pam in Bristol

Mike Lyle 29-07-2003 07:04 PM

ojunk (GoldDustRhiannon) wrote in message ...
I'm trying to find something to grow up trellis on a the front of my house -
south facing brick. Any suggestions for something eye catching?

The perfect site for just about anything you like! Personally I
wouldn't go wild, but just grab the chance to grow a lovely wistaria,
which would probably live as long as the house. Or a nice fig-tree, as
a souvenir of Mediterranean holidays: they're quite eye-catching,
though not very colourful.

Mike.

Andrew 30-07-2003 10:12 AM

What looks good growing on brick?

I'm trying to find something to grow up trellis on a the front of my house -
south facing brick. Any suggestions for something eye catching?

We had about 20 apricots off our tree growing against a south facing
wall in Norfolk. They weren't *hugely* flavoursome, but quite a novelty.
Very quick growing too, if you want to cover the wall.

Rusty Hinge 30-07-2003 11:22 AM

What looks good growing on brick?

The message
from (Mike Lyle) contains these words:
ojunk (GoldDustRhiannon) wrote in message

I'm trying to find something to grow up trellis on a the front of my
house -
south facing brick. Any suggestions for something eye catching?

The perfect site for just about anything you like! Personally I
wouldn't go wild, but just grab the chance to grow a lovely wistaria,
which would probably live as long as the house. Or a nice fig-tree, as
a souvenir of Mediterranean holidays: they're quite eye-catching,
though not very colourful.

But if you grow a fig, either plant it in a very large pot, or restrict
its roots. I was advised to bury the stainless steel drum from an old
washing machine and fill that with soil and plant the fig in that.

In fact, I'm taking delivery of an old cast-iron bath and growing it in
that as a pot. There will be pics up on me wibble as soon as I've -
a) got the bath
b) got it up onto the bathroom's flat roof
c) transplanted the fig (which is presently in a small plastic 'planter').
d) installed the watering and drainage system.

--
Rusty
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.