Old 29-07-2003, 02:42 PM
pgiblin

Default Acer 'Crimson Queen' Advice

I have a 'Crimson Queen' acer which I bought about three months ago.
Recently its leaves seem to be dying off, starting at the tips. It
certainly has lost its deep lustre.

I have had a look around on Googgle and think that it might be
'Anthracnose'?

Is this likely or could it be something else. It is about 4 foot tall in a
pot. Sheltered position and regularly watered.

Can it be saved or should I return it ( I bought it from B&Q who will take
it back).

Any advice gratefully received....am I doing anything wrong?

Pete G
Derby

Old 29-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Mike Lyle

"pgiblin" wrote in message ...
I have a 'Crimson Queen' acer which I bought about three months ago.
Recently its leaves seem to be dying off, starting at the tips. It
certainly has lost its deep lustre.

I have had a look around on Googgle and think that it might be
'Anthracnose'?

Is this likely or could it be something else. It is about 4 foot tall in a
pot. Sheltered position and regularly watered.

Can it be saved or should I return it ( I bought it from B&Q who will take
it back).

Any advice gratefully received....am I doing anything wrong?

Any sign of things looking like little cankers on new shoots?
Anthracnose isn't all that common, but it's a real headache if you get
it; fungicides may help if it isn't too far advanced, and will anyhow
reduce the chances of it's being spread to other susceptible trees.

I wonder, though, is it in the original pot, or have you potted it on?
If you put it in a pot bigger than the next size up it's likely to
suffer from rotting of the roots, which would show in dying leaves.

Are the drainage holes in the pot big enough? I got a wonderful huge
terracotta pot for a client this year -- big enough to hide a child,
and only twenty quid on special offer -- but the drainage hole was
about the diameter of a finger: it had to be drilled (masonry drill,
moderate speed, NOT hammer action!) to make it usable. Lack of
drainage will also rot the roots. Clay pots must also have a good
layer of broken crocks or chunky clinker in the bottom, and not be
stood direct on the ground: I put them on half-bricks or those
terracotta feet you can buy.

If in the slightest doubt, I wouldn't hesitate to take it back to B&Q
and start again.

Mike.