GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Why won't my tomatoes turn red? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/38957-re-why-wont-my-tomatoes-turn-red.html)

Rusty Hinge 01-08-2003 04:05 AM

Why won't my tomatoes turn red?

The message
from Paul Flackett contains these words:

What are they lacking? Is there something simple I can do?

The ripening process of tomatoes is triggered when daylight hours
shorten. They should notice soon.......

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.

bigboard 01-08-2003 10:03 AM

Paul Flackett wrote:
What are they lacking? Is there something simple I can do?

Are you feeding them? If so, what with?

petesm 01-08-2003 10:25 AM

Banana skins

Try placing banana skins at the base of the stems. They release a ripening agent - ethylene. In fact this works with any rotting fruit but banana skins seem to be the best.

Paul Flackett 02-08-2003 12:33 AM

Why won't my tomatoes turn red?

In message , bigboard
writes
Paul Flackett wrote:
What are they lacking? Is there something simple I can do?

Are you feeding them? If so, what with?

Yep, with liquid tomato food once a week.
--
Paul Flackett

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.

Paul Flackett 02-08-2003 12:34 AM

Why won't my tomatoes turn red?

In message m, petesm
writes
Try placing banana skins at the base of the stems. They release a
ripening agent - ethylene. In fact this works with any rotting fruit
but banana skins seem to be the best.
--

Tried it with a couple of skins last week but nothing has happened.
Would the same thing be true of ripe (shop-bought) tomatoes, or the end

--
Paul Flackett

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.

martin 02-08-2003 08:03 AM

Why won't my tomatoes turn red?

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 00:09:17 +0100, Paul Flackett
wrote:

In message m, petesm
writes
Try placing banana skins at the base of the stems. They release a
ripening agent - ethylene. In fact this works with any rotting fruit
but banana skins seem to be the best.
--

Tried it with a couple of skins last week but nothing has happened.
Would the same thing be true of ripe (shop-bought) tomatoes, or the end
bits of tomato left over from my sandwiches?

Turning tomato skins red doesn't make a tomato ripe as any supermarket
can demonstrate.
--
Martin

bigboard 04-08-2003 11:12 AM

Why won't my tomatoes turn red?

Paul Flackett wrote:
In message , bigboard
writes

Paul Flackett wrote:

What are they lacking? Is there something simple I can do?

Are you feeding them? If so, what with?

Yep, with liquid tomato food once a week.

It's not that then! Just leave them somewhere sunny, and then wait.