Old 01-08-2003, 05:05 AM
Rusty Hinge

Default Why won't my tomatoes turn red?

The message
from Paul Flackett contains these words:

What are they lacking? Is there something simple I can do?

The ripening process of tomatoes is triggered when daylight hours
shorten. They should notice soon.......

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:03 AM
bigboard

Paul Flackett wrote:
What are they lacking? Is there something simple I can do?

Are you feeding them? If so, what with?

Old 01-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Registered User

Location: Luton UK
Thumbs up Banana skins

Try placing banana skins at the base of the stems. They release a ripening agent - ethylene. In fact this works with any rotting fruit but banana skins seem to be the best.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:33 AM
Paul Flackett

In message , bigboard
writes
Paul Flackett wrote:
What are they lacking? Is there something simple I can do?

Are you feeding them? If so, what with?

Yep, with liquid tomato food once a week.
--
Paul Flackett

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:34 AM
Paul Flackett

In message m, petesm
writes
Try placing banana skins at the base of the stems. They release a
ripening agent - ethylene. In fact this works with any rotting fruit
but banana skins seem to be the best.
--

Tried it with a couple of skins last week but nothing has happened.
Would the same thing be true of ripe (shop-bought) tomatoes, or the end

--
Paul Flackett

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.

Old 02-08-2003, 09:03 AM
martin

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 00:09:17 +0100, Paul Flackett
wrote:

In message m, petesm
writes
Try placing banana skins at the base of the stems. They release a
ripening agent - ethylene. In fact this works with any rotting fruit
but banana skins seem to be the best.
--

Tried it with a couple of skins last week but nothing has happened.
Would the same thing be true of ripe (shop-bought) tomatoes, or the end
bits of tomato left over from my sandwiches?

Turning tomato skins red doesn't make a tomato ripe as any supermarket
can demonstrate.
--
Martin
Old 04-08-2003, 12:12 PM
bigboard

Paul Flackett wrote:
In message , bigboard
writes

Paul Flackett wrote:

What are they lacking? Is there something simple I can do?

Are you feeding them? If so, what with?

Yep, with liquid tomato food once a week.

It's not that then! Just leave them somewhere sunny, and then wait.