GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Early potatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/38982-early-potatoes.html)

David Rance 01-08-2003 03:01 PM

Early potatoes

Have just lifted my early potatoes (Foremost bought at Homebase).

Many of them seem to have scab. Is this prevalent this year?

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

martin 01-08-2003 03:44 PM

Early potatoes

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:58:48 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

Have just lifted my early potatoes (Foremost bought at Homebase).

Many of them seem to have scab. Is this prevalent this year?

There's none on our Roger's Plants Pickering bought potatoes.

http://www.rvroger.co.uk/home.htm
--
Martin

The Devil's Advocate 01-08-2003 07:23 PM

Early potatoes

Scab is more likely to be a problem if you have limey soil. They say putting
grass cuttings around the seed potatoes in the trench helps avoid it

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

David Rance 02-08-2003 10:22 AM

Early potatoes

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, The Devil's Advocate wrote:

Scab is more likely to be a problem if you have limey soil. They say putting
grass cuttings around the seed potatoes in the trench helps avoid it

Haven't had this problem before and I always rotate the crops. I don't
think that the soil is particularly limey here in the Thames basin.