Old 02-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Paul Gulliver

Default Blackberry problems

For the last couple of years I've had a problem with my blackberry canes,
the new canes grow well but in their second year when they should fruit,
they develop patches on the canes and start to die back, producing very
little fruit. I've taken some photos and put them on my web site at
http://www.paulgulliver.co.uk/plants/
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Paul

Old 02-08-2003, 10:22 PM
David Hill

This looks a lot like old age. The plant taking from the old canes to make
good healthy growth for next year.
Do you feed your Blackberries?
We used to give a high Nitrogen feed early spring followed by a high potash
feed July /Aug.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-08-2003, 09:17 AM
Paul Gulliver

David,
The canes have been there for quite a few years (10-12?) so I suppose they
are getting old. Perhaps I will tip root one of the canes this year and put
it in a different part of the garden.
I usually feed the bush in spring with growmore - but one thing which may
not help is the fact that it is growing in grass so this may be taking the
feed away before it gets to the roots of the bush.

Thanks for your reply,
Paul