Old 04-08-2003, 10:13 AM
stuart noble

Default Very tall hollyhock

The self-sown hollyhock in my back yard has now reached 12 foot so I'm
beginning to wonder what the record height is. Does anyone keep this kind of
obscure information? In case anyone's interested, it's a mauvish red colour,
and is growing in a mixture of sand and rubble.

Old 04-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Margaret Paige

Mine are also the tallest I've seen. If I measure it I'll get back to you

Margaret

"stuart noble" schreef in bericht

Old 04-08-2003, 05:06 PM
stuart noble

Margaret Paige wrote in message ...
Mine are also the tallest I've seen. If I measure it I'll get back to you

Please do! Not easy hanging off the top of a step ladder though :-)
I'm beginning to wonder about the expert advice usually given, which is to
grow these things in rich soil. The best specimens round here are always
coming out of cracks in paths etc.
I noticed some good specimens in Greece this year which were growing out
concrete on the edge of a mountain road with no obvious source of nutrients
or moisture.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Earnest Trawler

"stuart noble" wrote in message

Margaret Paige wrote in message ...
Mine are also the tallest I've seen. If I measure it I'll get back to you

Please do! Not easy hanging off the top of a step ladder though :-)
I'm beginning to wonder about the expert advice usually given, which is to
grow these things in rich soil. The best specimens round here are always
coming out of cracks in paths etc.
I noticed some good specimens in Greece this year which were growing out
concrete on the edge of a mountain road with no obvious source of

nutrients
or moisture.

In my experience they grow very well in poor soil, I look after a 100 foot
row of them growing on the edge of a gravel path against a wall. They get no
feeding, watering or anything, I just tie them back against the wall in
summer and remove the flower stalks when they are finished. Most of them
are between 7 and 9 feet high.

Earnest Trawler

Old 08-08-2003, 07:15 PM
stuart noble

Earnest Trawler wrote in message ...
In my experience they grow very well in poor soil, I look after a 100 foot
row of them growing on the edge of a gravel path against a wall. They get

no
feeding, watering or anything, I just tie them back against the wall in
summer and remove the flower stalks when they are finished. Most of them
are between 7 and 9 feet high.

Must be quite a sight.
This thing of mine has gone berserk in the last week and is probably getting
on for 13ft. It's now throwing out branches at the very top with 4 new
flowers today. There is nothing else growing within 6 feet of it so I would
guess they don't like sharing the soil. Maybe I'll try growing one in a bag
of sand next year :-)

Old 10-08-2003, 12:13 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article , stuart
noble writes

Earnest Trawler wrote in message ...
In my experience they grow very well in poor soil, I look after a 100 foot
row of them growing on the edge of a gravel path against a wall. They get

no
feeding, watering or anything, I just tie them back against the wall in
summer and remove the flower stalks when they are finished. Most of them
are between 7 and 9 feet high.

Must be quite a sight.
This thing of mine has gone berserk in the last week and is probably getting
on for 13ft. It's now throwing out branches at the very top with 4 new
flowers today. There is nothing else growing within 6 feet of it so I would
guess they don't like sharing the soil. Maybe I'll try growing one in a bag
of sand next year :-)

Hi

I have hollyhocks in a front flowerbed which I put in as small plants
earlier this year but they took a long time to get going and are only
3-4 feet high. I think they are suffering in our heat as some of the
flowers are dropping off half open. I can only assume that they need
more water?

Lynda