Old 04-08-2003, 01:33 PM
mbb

Default Borage (Off Topic - Top Posting discussion)

"David Hill" wrote in message
".... Why do people like the answer before the question? ...."

Possibly because some people don't seem to know how to EDIT. threads.
You get a whole string repeated time after time and possibly just 2 or 3
words added, and I for 1 am sick of having to scroll through anything up

100 lines to try to find the new bit

--
David Hill

As someone looking to improve my Usenet skills, I see two problems. I agree
with the earlier post that having the 'cart before the horse' does make for
poor reading of a thread, but that presupposes that you can read the whole
thread in one message, rather than reading the same set of responses over
and over again - a real waste of bandwidth, I think.

I do also agree with David, that scrolliing through pages of messages &
replies, just to read an off topic couple of lines, is a pain - ( which is
why I initially welcomed top posts, I admit).

Is the answer to have a posting, plus replies, each of which only contains
it's own text? We would then not be using bandwidth unnecessarily, and
catching up with posts would be quicker. (I appreciate that we are using a
variety of Newsgroup clients).

Sorry to go off-topic - if anyone can point us to authorative Newsgroup
etiquette sources, that would be appreciated.

regards, mbb

Old 04-08-2003, 03:03 PM
The Reid

Following up to mbb

Sorry to go off-topic - if anyone can point us to authorative Newsgroup
etiquette sources, that would be appreciated.

I don't think you need it, your on the right track. Only include what
ties your comment in to the thread. (My last post had everything in it
as the mix of top and bottom posting was part of the point).

I think one of the reasons people don't do this is that they are using
a newsreader that does not allow you to:-
highlight that which you wish to reply to, then press reply
the reply is then set up with the quoted text ready to go.
The other thing that bad newsreaders don't do is automatically strip
out sig files, especially because they don't allow "-- " to be
included (truncating the blank) thereby stopping even good newreaders
like Agent from recognising the sig file.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old 04-08-2003, 04:06 PM
Franz Heymann

"mbb" wrote in message

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Unfortunately it does not work when you get replies to replies and replies
to replies to replies and replies which refer to more than one earlier stage
of the thread.
The only sensible thing is for each contributor to try and snip whatever
he/she thinks is irrelevant to what he/she is trying to say. But, *please*,
when you snip, it is good manners and useful if you were to replace the
snipped part with a simple indication "[snip]". This alerts a subsequent
reader to the fact that some snipping has occured, and he/she can look at
earlier versions of the thread to see if the snipped stuff was context or
not.

Sorry to go off-topic - if anyone can point us to authorative Newsgroup
etiquette sources, that would be appreciated.

Somewhere there must be a set of rules for this newsgroup. In those rules
the suggestions for good posting might be listed. That certainly is so in
the case of another ng in which I participate. Moreover, the rules of that
ng are reposted approximately once monthly.

[Franz Heymann]

regards, mbb

Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
snip
Somewhere there must be a set of rules for this newsgroup. In those rules
the suggestions for good posting might be listed. That certainly is so in
the case of another ng in which I participate. Moreover, the rules of

that
ng are reposted approximately once monthly.

You can check out the "official" netiquette recommendations at
http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html

3.1.3 NetNews Guidelines covers news group posting.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:23 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "mbb" contains these words:

Is the answer to have a posting, plus replies, each of which only contains
it's own text?

No, because other users may miss the original post. It's usual for
threads to have multiple participants coming and going at different
times and broadening the original topic. Posters need to indicate which
later contribution they are responding to.

(snip)
Sorry to go off-topic - if anyone can point us to authorative Newsgroup
etiquette sources, that would be appreciated.

Don't worry, your question is very welcome.

A short version of "how to edit a reply" can be found in a help post
that appears here every week, called abc for newcomers. That post is
also permanently located in google's archives of this group, search at
http://groups.google.com/ (easy help available there).

is an excellent guide to how to compose and edit replies. For general
netiquette

http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/help.html

Janet.

Old 05-08-2003, 09:32 AM
mbb

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "mbb" contains these words:

Is the answer to have a posting, plus replies, each of which only

contains
it's own text?

No, because other users may miss the original post. It's usual for
threads to have multiple participants coming and going at different
times and broadening the original topic. Posters need to indicate which
later contribution they are responding to.

Janet.

Is it not possible, perhaps with a particular newsreader, to have a root
message, and it's replies, posted/delivered only once? I can appreciate that
various servers disseminate posts in a disimilar speed, but the duplication
of traffic is horrendous - thinks "search for alternative newsreader".

thanks to all for comments and info - back to my boy's tomatoes !!

regards, mbb

Old 05-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Gabriel" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
snip
Somewhere there must be a set of rules for this newsgroup. In those

rules
the suggestions for good posting might be listed. That certainly is so

in
the case of another ng in which I participate. Moreover, the rules of

that
ng are reposted approximately once monthly.

You can check out the "official" netiquette recommendations at
http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html

3.1.3 NetNews Guidelines covers news group posting.

I would love to see that, but the page appears to be unavailable.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 05-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Franz Heymann

[...]

This one is a must.

http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/help.html

This one is an even muster....
[Franz Heymann]

Janet.

Old 05-08-2003, 11:03 AM
The Reid

Following up to mbb

Is it not possible, perhaps with a particular newsreader, to have a root
message, and it's replies, posted/delivered only once? I can appreciate that
various servers disseminate posts in a disimilar speed, but the duplication
of traffic is horrendous - thinks "search for alternative newsreader".

I don't understand this point. Is the "duplication of traffic" the
unsnipped original message in various replies? If so, I don't think
anything can be done, or do I miss the point?
Old 05-08-2003, 04:05 PM
mbb

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to mbb

Is it not possible, perhaps with a particular newsreader, to have a root
message, and it's replies, posted/delivered only once? I can appreciate

that
various servers disseminate posts in a disimilar speed, but the

duplication
of traffic is horrendous - thinks "search for alternative newsreader".

I don't understand this point. Is the "duplication of traffic" the
unsnipped original message in various replies? If so, I don't think
anything can be done, or do I miss the point?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
UK walking "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" (see web for email)
Spain,cuisines and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk"

Indeed it is - looking at this set of messages, each is a copy, (perhaps
edited), of what has gone before, with an additional comment, some top
posted, some bottom, some humourous, some not so! I'm just hoping that this
duplication can be avoided somehow, either by using a clever piece of
newsgroup client software, or convention, or even both. What I would hope
for is one thread, containing the original posting, with each comment, and
the comments to the comments, connnected as part of the one conversation,
with no piece of data downloaded from the server more than once.

I imagine it also depends on whether you download headers, or complete
messages. It's likely that you can capture (almost) all a thread by simply
waiting, and picking up one of the last postings in the thread, (but that is
also not guaranteed to miss comments, I know). I guess if I never went
"broadband", I'd never have noticed,,,,,,,, :¬)

regards, mbb

Old 05-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Ken Saunders

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "mbb" contains these words:

Is the answer to have a posting, plus replies, each of which only

snip

I must be thick.Why are you all using a newsreader.I go to all
google from the web and bbc messageboards. No dowloading no setting up
and at £10 a month it's not dear.Am I missing something other than
offline facility and killfile??? I always thought that the
disadvantage of OE was that mail is accepted for transfer from your e
mail account so therefore spammers know you exist. Sorry to interrupt
but I am an occasional poster. Cheers Ken

Old 05-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Ken Saunders" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "mbb" contains these words:

Is the answer to have a posting, plus replies, each of which only

snip

I must be thick.Why are you all using a newsreader.I go to all
google from the web and bbc messageboards. No dowloading no setting up
and at £10 a month it's not dear.Am I missing something other than
offline facility and killfile??? I always thought that the
disadvantage of OE was that mail is accepted for transfer from your e
mail account so therefore spammers know you exist. Sorry to interrupt
but I am an occasional poster. Cheers Ken

Not if you use a doctored account for usenet like I do. Unfortunately I
cottoned on to this trick only after my adress had been harvested, but
hopefully my doctored account keeps the spammers at bay.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 06-08-2003, 12:04 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Alan Gabriel" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
snip
Somewhere there must be a set of rules for this newsgroup. In those

rules
the suggestions for good posting might be listed. That certainly is

so
in
the case of another ng in which I participate. Moreover, the rules of

that
ng are reposted approximately once monthly.

You can check out the "official" netiquette recommendations at
http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html

3.1.3 NetNews Guidelines covers news group posting.

I would love to see that, but the page appears to be unavailable.

I checked the URL before posting and it resolved OK for me.

Borage Mark Anderson Gardening 21 15-03-2011 07:54 PM
Posting wrongfully in HTML instead of plain text and posting JPG's madgardener Gardening 26 24-03-2005 11:59 AM
Top Posting; Snop Posting: STOP POSTING! chagoi Ponds 8 17-11-2004 03:08 PM
Borage The Reid United Kingdom 35 07-08-2003 09:41 PM