Old 05-08-2003, 08:42 AM
Chris Rowe

Default Does compost need turning in a dalek bin

Hi
I have one of the dalek type compost bins and I'm told that compost needs
turning,apart from lifting the bin off the compost, moving the bin/compost
and refilling(lack of space and time consuming) how is this possible?
TIA Chris

Old 05-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Derek Turner

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 07:33:44 +0100, "Chris Rowe"
wrote:

Hi
I have one of the dalek type compost bins and I'm told that compost needs
turning,apart from lifting the bin off the compost, moving the bin/compost
and refilling(lack of space and time consuming) how is this possible?
TIA Chris

it's the only use to which I put the 'garden claw' that I was given!

--
Derek Turner

Outlook Express is worth precisely what you paid for it.

Old 05-08-2003, 11:02 AM
bigboard

Chris Rowe wrote:
Hi
I have one of the dalek type compost bins and I'm told that compost needs
turning,apart from lifting the bin off the compost, moving the bin/compost
and refilling(lack of space and time consuming) how is this possible?
TIA Chris

I'm afraid this is the only really effective way with these type of
bins. I do this with mine about once a month, and it only takes about
ten minutes per bin if you really fo for it!

Otherwise, you can buy tools for the job. These are usually a long pole
with an attachment on one end. When you push it down through the
compost, the attachment stays closed, and then opens when you pull it
back up bring the lower layers with it. I've never used one, so can't
vouch for their effectiveness, but I would have thought that it could be
a bit messy with a full bin.

Old 05-08-2003, 12:03 PM
Jim W

Chris Rowe wrote:

I have one of the dalek type compost bins and I'm told that compost needs
turning,apart from lifting the bin off the compost, moving the bin/compost
and refilling(lack of space and time consuming) how is this possible?

Being a contortionist and using a vacuum cleaner.. This is how these
bins were designed to be used,.. way back when... Well, at least
before my time;-)
//

Jim
Old 05-08-2003, 07:12 PM
sw

Chris Rowe wrote:

Hi
I have one of the dalek type compost bins and I'm told that compost needs
turning,apart from lifting the bin off the compost, moving the bin/compost
and refilling(lack of space and time consuming) how is this possible?

Is it one that has a door at the base, or one that simply lifts off the
finished pile?
If the latter, lift it off the unfinished pile, fork the stuff into a
barrow, put the bin back, fork the stuff around in the barrow, then pile
it back in the bin.

Mine are the former. I shovel some of the good stuff out of the bottom
into a barrow, then take the lid off and fork the less-well-rotted stuff
out of the top into the barrow. Fork through the stuff that remains in
the bin (I'm only 5'4" and I can manage this by leaning over the bin
:-), then fork through the stuff in the barrow to remix it (I usually
take the opportunity to mix in some grasscuttings before putting it back
in the bin), and pile it back in the bin. Water well with activator
before replacing the lid and leaving it to rot in peace.

Funny you should mention this; I did mine this morning :-)

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.

Old 05-08-2003, 07:32 PM
bnd777

All compost in whatever kind of bin needs turning thats the fallacy of these
fancy bins
The only thing you can do is llift it up and move it to one side and refill
it thereby turning the contents
Much better to have several bins made out of palletts pulled apart and put
back together in a solid shape

Old 06-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Sarah Dale

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:33:44 +0100, Chris Rowe wrote:
I have one of the dalek type compost bins and I'm told that compost needs
turning,apart from lifting the bin off the compost, moving the bin/compost

Well Chris, contrary to everyone elses opinion, I never used to turn my
dalek compost heap! Becasue as you have rightly noted, it is a long, hot,
back aching smelly job!

I used to limit it to emptying the dalek when it was full, using the good
stuff on the garden, putting the twiggy stuff back at the bottom of the
heap, followed by all the yet to rot down and part rotted stuff thrown
back in on top of the twigs. I used to do this 2- 3 times a year.

Now I have a wood frame much larger compost heap - and still don't turn
it!!! I can't because I haven't got the room in which to do so during the
summer gorwing season - I have to wait to Spet / Oct to empty and turn my
heap.

Undoubtedly, if you want more compost faster, then turning your heap is
the way to go. If you're not bothered, and can wiat until your heap is
full, then, don't worry too much.

Keep you compost input material well mixed and add activator as you see
fit, sit back and relax!

Sarah

Old 06-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Chris Rowe" wrote in message
Hi
I have one of the dalek type compost bins and I'm told that compost needs
turning,apart from lifting the bin off the compost, moving the bin/compost
and refilling(lack of space and time consuming) how is this possible?

I no longer have the strength of body or mind to turn the contents of a
compost bin. Mine is a Dalek style bin with a small door at ground level.
I simply put the fresh stuff + activator in at the top and scoop out the
compost at the bottom. The worms love it. It does not get hot enough to
reliably kill weed seeds, so I usually have to keep an eagle eye for
germinating weeds during the first season after applying the compost.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 06-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Chris Rowe

Hi
Many thanx for all your replys and good ideas,all of which I shall try in
the future
All the best Chris

Old 08-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Pickle

"hugo agogo" wrote in message
om...
Any tips on how to take pallets apart? Last time I tried, the nails
were so effective that I gave up, fearing I would give myself a hernia
instead.

A large crowbar, a sledge hammer and a strong husband ....

Old 08-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Franz Heymann

"Pickle" wrote in message

"hugo agogo" wrote in message
om...
Any tips on how to take pallets apart? Last time I tried, the nails
were so effective that I gave up, fearing I would give myself a hernia
instead.

A large crowbar, a sledge hammer and a strong husband ....

I did it by sawing out the horizontal slats with an electric saw, and just
discarding the side pieces.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 16-08-2003, 01:22 AM
bnd777

"hugo agogo" wrote in message
om...
"bnd777" wrote in message

Much better to have several bins made out of palletts pulled apart and

put
back together in a solid shape

Any tips on how to take pallets apart? Last time I tried, the nails
were so effective that I gave up, fearing I would give myself a hernia
instead.

Some pallets are made using wire nails and yes these will not come apart
easily at all
You need to watch out for those with slats that are stapled ........also
some now come as solid slatted pallets .......if you can get these you wont
need to pull them apart..........use 2 complete and the other 2 you need to
saw off the edge frame on both sides so you can nail the free ends of the
slats to the 2 complete ones

Band Q also seem to sell ovens or something on small palletts (and folk
litter the car park with them ) that only have a 4 by 2 on each edge not
also down the centre .......i saw the slats off those ......then knock off
the remaining bits of wood ......hammer in the nails and i have 4by 2
timbers plus slats to make into a solid bin

You just have to use ingenuity