Old 05-08-2003, 07:13 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Why won't my Peppers ripen?

"Colin Malsingh" wrote in message
I have had large peppers on various plants in my greenhouse now for
4-5 weeks:
- Paprika (about 14 cm long)
- Hot Banana (about 10cm long)
- Various sweet peppers
- Trinidad non-bell peppers

The Paprika and Chillis have stayed resolutely green all this time
(including some hot sunny periods in June/July). In the meantime a the
Trinidad peppers have produced fruit which has turned red. Is there
anything holding back the first two types?

Colin
-----
(Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)

I'm wondering the same thing.

My outdoor pepper now has about 10 green peppers of various sizes, the
longest about 4.5" long.
The pepper plant is about 22.5" high.
The largest pepper doesn't seem to be growing much, but all peppers (and the
chillis in the next pot) are staying resolutely green.
The plant now seems to be shedding little fertilised flowers (mini peppers
half the size of a pea) so I presume it has decided it is carrying enough.

So, what strategy?
Do I pick the largest now and try and ripen them with a bannana, thus
encouraging the plant to produce more peppers?
Or should I leave them to ripen before picking?

TIA
Dave R

Old 05-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Sarah Dale

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:04:25 +0100, David W.E. Roberts wrote:
The largest pepper doesn't seem to be growing much, but all peppers (and the
chillis in the next pot) are staying resolutely green.
The plant now seems to be shedding little fertilised flowers (mini peppers
half the size of a pea) so I presume it has decided it is carrying enough.
So, what strategy?
Do I pick the largest now and try and ripen them with a bannana, thus
encouraging the plant to produce more peppers?
Or should I leave them to ripen before picking?

Dave,

Check the details of the peppers and chillis you are growing. I'm growing
a green peper - i.e. green is the ripe colour. Have a feel of the largest
peppers - mine so far has been about 4" long and 3" diameter - if it feels
and smells about right - pick it and eat it. Use the first pepper to judge
the subsequent.

Now, as for my chillies - I wish the damn things would flower properly
(I've had about 1.5 per plant... ) and set fruit without the
flower/buds dropping of I'm very dissapointed with these chillies -
they'd better pick up and do somethinbg before it gets too cold!

Sarah
Old 06-08-2003, 10:32 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Sarah Dale" wrote in message
news
[...]

Ah..oooops!
I thought (especially after seeing them in the supermarket) that green
peppers were basically unripe red/yellow/orange peppers.

However, just been and checked the label (bought from garden centre).

Sweet pepper bell boy.
Suitable for patio planters.
Can be eaten green or red.

Assuming the label is correct the peppers should turn red.
So I guess the original question stands.

Cheers
Dave R

Old 06-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Kay Easton

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes
Ah..oooops!
I thought (especially after seeing them in the supermarket) that green
peppers were basically unripe red/yellow/orange peppers.

However, just been and checked the label (bought from garden centre).

Sweet pepper bell boy.
Suitable for patio planters.
Can be eaten green or red.

Assuming the label is correct the peppers should turn red.
So I guess the original question stands.

Certainly all of the green peppers I've bought and have left around for
a week or so have started to go red. So I'd always assumed the same as
you (and am not particularly inclined to change my assumption)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 07-08-2003, 06:22 PM
sw

Kay Easton wrote:

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes
Ah..oooops!
I thought (especially after seeing them in the supermarket) that green
peppers were basically unripe red/yellow/orange peppers.

However, just been and checked the label (bought from garden centre).

Sweet pepper bell boy.
Suitable for patio planters.
Can be eaten green or red.

Assuming the label is correct the peppers should turn red.
So I guess the original question stands.

Certainly all of the green peppers I've bought and have left around for
a week or so have started to go red. So I'd always assumed the same as
you (and am not particularly inclined to change my assumption)

Green peppers I've bought from the supermarket remain steadfastly green
for several weeks (in the fridge), and remain green for a week or more
in a cool place -- I've never seen one change colour (unless it was
rotting).

But on the plants... some of mine are going orange (unlabelled bell
pepper), while 'Redskin' went from green to chocolate brown and is now
brightening to scarlet. The Hungarian Wax peppers are lime green/yellow;
one I left on the bush turned orange, then scarlet. And I have three
Habaneros, currently an elegantly cool pale green.
This is fascinating :-)

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.

Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , sw
writes
Kay Easton wrote:

Green peppers I've bought from the supermarket remain steadfastly green
for several weeks (in the fridge), and remain green for a week or more
in a cool place -- I've never seen one change colour (unless it was
rotting).

Mine do after a week or so, but I don't keep them in the fridge.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , sw
writes
Kay Easton wrote:

Green peppers I've bought from the supermarket remain steadfastly green
for several weeks (in the fridge), and remain green for a week or more
in a cool place -- I've never seen one change colour (unless it was
rotting).

Mine do after a week or so, but I don't keep them in the fridge.

How wide and how high are these pepper plants?
Will I be able to grow them to fruiting on an East facing window sill?
If so how and when do I start?

[Franz Heymann]

Old 08-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , sw
writes

Old 08-08-2003, 06:14 PM
sw

Franz Heymann wrote:

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , sw
writes
Kay Easton wrote:

Green peppers I've bought from the supermarket remain steadfastly green
for several weeks (in the fridge), and remain green for a week or more
in a cool place -- I've never seen one change colour (unless it was
rotting).

Mine do after a week or so, but I don't keep them in the fridge.

How wide and how high are these pepper plants?
Will I be able to grow them to fruiting on an East facing window sill?
If so how and when do I start?

Someone else will have to advise on when and how to start growing them
indoors: I recall some people growing chillis on windowsills indoors; I
can't, as our cats would devour the plants. The dwarf bell peppers and
the habanero are less than 12" high and wide, but the hungarian wax is
closer to 18", and the F1 hybrid long red peppers I've grown from seed
(worked out c. 25p each, those seeds!) are approaching 2' in height
although they're not wide.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:15 PM

How wide and how high are these pepper plants?

The pepper plants in my greenhouse are currently around 4 foot high !

- h