GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Curly hoses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/39485-curly-hoses.html)

Janet Baraclough 05-08-2003 09:42 PM

Curly hoses

Has anyone tried those stretch hosepipes like a spring coil, and would
you recommend them?

Janet (Tired of unwinding and rewinding the hose).

Jim W 05-08-2003 10:12 PM

Curly hoses

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Has anyone tried those stretch hosepipes like a spring coil, and would
you recommend them?

Janet (Tired of unwinding and rewinding the hose).

Can't say from experience but I can imagine them getting tangled (like
coiled telephone cord) and causing all sorts of hassle.. Be interesting
to see what others say..

You can get 'sprung' hose reels that self retract but not sure what
they're like either.
//
Jim

Essjay001 06-08-2003 02:48 AM

Curly hoses

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Has anyone tried those stretch hosepipes like a spring coil, and
would you recommend them?

Yes I have and no I wouldn't

Steve R
--
"Latest gear:- One piece one button suit extremely comfortable, perfect
for Relaxation, Sports, Hiking, Swimming, a must have" OOPS sorry you

BAC 06-08-2003 09:32 AM

Curly hoses

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Has anyone tried those stretch hosepipes like a spring coil, and would
you recommend them?

Janet (Tired of unwinding and rewinding the hose).

These were available cheap at local cash and carry (£9.95 plus VAT) and I
bought a couple for relatives who had expressed an interest. Both are very
pleased with them, but I haven't been tempted myself, sticking with the old
fashioned hose on a reel. If you want something handy for watering pots
around the patio, for example, they're fine, and quicker and easier to use
than the traditional hose, but aren't as good for longer distance work, IMO,
of course.

Perhaps one could use both sorts ...

Serendipity 06-08-2003 10:32 AM

Curly hoses

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 02:07:41 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Has anyone tried those stretch hosepipes like a spring coil, and would
you recommend them?

Janet (Tired of unwinding and rewinding the hose).

I found that if the 50 ft of hose could open in
a straght line they were OK. However, the
moment it has to go round a corner, the problems
start. Kinks and stoppages occur. If I were you
Janet I suggest that you speak to someone who
has a hose which has a reel which has a wind-back
handle on it if you wish to avoid man-handling lengths
of hose.

Mike 06-08-2003 11:12 AM

Curly hoses

In article , Serendipity
writes
wrote:

Has anyone tried those stretch hosepipes like a spring coil, and would
you recommend them?

Janet (Tired of unwinding and rewinding the hose).

I found that if the 50 ft of hose could open in
a straght line they were OK. However, the
moment it has to go round a corner, the problems
start. Kinks and stoppages occur. If I were you
Janet I suggest that you speak to someone who
has a hose which has a reel which has a wind-back
handle on it if you wish to avoid man-handling lengths
of hose.

I have one of these and very pleased with it. Hozelock Wall Mounted Reel
723/1078 £24.99 in the Argos catalogue and the 50 metre hose (to reach
the bottom of the Garden and out to the car) 723/1171 £29.99 in Argos.

Only draw back, once fully extended, the winding mechanism is hard to
work it you try to pull the lot back with just the handle. Best to bring
hose back in loops so it is only pulling a short distance.

Mike

GREAT TRUTHS ABOUT LIFE, THAT LITTLE CHILDREN HAVE LEARNED:
When your Mum is mad at your Dad, don't let her brush your hair.

Janet Baraclough 07-08-2003 03:33 AM

Curly hoses

The message
from Serendipity contains these words:
If I were you
Janet I suggest that you speak to someone who
has a hose which has a reel which has a wind-back
handle on it if you wish to avoid man-handling lengths
of hose.

That's what I've got atm, perfectly good hose for many years until we
moved here and the removal men broke the handle, so the stump isn't very
easy to wind up :-( .

I very seldom water anything planted in the garden, but I do
frequently water my large collection of plants in pots, and that's what
I fancy the coiled thingy for.

Janet