Old 06-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Ann

Default Rotting green peppers

My two pepper plants are planted in 10 inch pots outside. They have both set
a good number of peppers, most of which seem to be growing well. There have
been several that have developed discoloured patches, which then turn
rotten. This is not happening in any particular place, eg round the stem or
at the blossom end, it seems to be random, and there are no signs of pest
damage. The peppers have been a mix of sizes, one full grown, several others
about half the size you'd expect to harvest them. I was hoping to leave some
to ripen, but at the moment it seems best to harvest them small, before they
rot. Anyone got any ideas on what's causing it, and how to put it right?
Thanks
Ann

Old 06-08-2003, 11:32 AM
vsop

Exactly the same thing is happening to mine, although mine are beginning to
turn red............never happened before so I hope someone has an answer.
vSOp

"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old 06-08-2003, 02:02 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Just checked mine and they seem to be O.K. (though resolutely green).

I presume the most likely cause is damp - given that we have had a week of
rain before this lovely weather - but I would have thought you would be O.K.
outside.

I certainly drench mine with the hose in the evening and so far they seem
O.K.

If you harvest the damaged ones perhaps some more will develope?

Next week or so should hopefully give a strong boost to growth as long as
they have enough food and water.

I assume they are in full sun most of the day?

Cheers
Dave R

Old 06-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Ann

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
I presume the most likely cause is damp - given that we have had a week of
rain before this lovely weather - but I would have thought you would be

O.K.
outside.

I certainly drench mine with the hose in the evening and so far they seem
O.K.

If you harvest the damaged ones perhaps some more will develope?

Next week or so should hopefully give a strong boost to growth as long as
they have enough food and water.

I assume they are in full sun most of the day?

Cheers
Dave R

I've got them up against the garage wall where they are sheltered and get
full sun from about 9 in the morning until late evening. The plants are
looking green and healthy and still setting fruit, a much heavier crop than
last year, when they were in a much shadier place but didn't rot!
Ann

Old 06-08-2003, 05:22 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Ann" wrote in message

[...]

Baffled, then.
You can't catch it via newsgroups can you?

Old 07-08-2003, 12:22 AM
Mike Hunter

"Ann" wrote in message

[...]

My peppers are in the greenhouse.
This week several fruit have been scorched by the sun - and will probably
now rot.