Old 07-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Default Can you grow sweet potatoes please?

Hi,

I live in Reading, Berkshire and have an allotment.

Could I grow sweet potatoes please? To-day, I bought some sweet potatoes
that has sprouted and after cutting them into small chunks have grown them.
Let us see what would happen.

In India, they flourish during the winter.

Rajinder

Old 08-08-2003, 01:47 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:

I live in Reading, Berkshire and have an allotment.

Could I grow sweet potatoes please? To-day, I bought some sweet potatoes
that has sprouted and after cutting them into small chunks have grown them.
Let us see what would happen.

In India, they flourish during the winter.

No chance, I am afraid :-(

Even with Global Warming (TM), the UK gets only a few months of hot,
sunny weather - and then it is no more than a subtropical winter.
We can't grow anything except short-season subtropicals, and sweet
potatoes are long-season vegetables.

I am sprouting a tip for amusement, and reports are that you can get
a mediocre crop in a polytunnel, but they aren't really possible in
the UK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:20 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt"
contains these words:

Hi,

Hi, Rajinder, nice to see you're still around.

I live in Reading, Berkshire and have an allotment.

Could I grow sweet potatoes please?

Yes. But don't expect a crop.

To-day, I bought some sweet potatoes
that has sprouted and after cutting them into small chunks have grown them.
Let us see what would happen.

It is probably a bit late in the year, but if this heatwave continues
you might get a few very small tubers. Pray for an Indian Summer. G

In India, they flourish during the winter.

Yes, but you've been over here long enough to know that there's a
difference....

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.

Old 10-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Bob Hobden

Rajinder wrote in message
I live in Reading, Berkshire and have an allotment.

Could I grow sweet potatoes please? To-day, I bought some sweet potatoes
that has sprouted and after cutting them into small chunks have grown

them.
Let us see what would happen.

In India, they flourish during the winter.

I tried to grow some that are supposed to be able to tolerate the UK
climate, these I bought from Marshalls the seed merchant last year. The
season was too short and the frost killed the plants before they made tubers
of any use.
The ground dwelling slugs also had a feast on the roots so I considered them
not a viable crop for me.
They may well flourish during the winter in the Punjab, but not everywhere
in India, doubt they would grow in the colder parts. The plants can't take
any frost.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 10-08-2003, 04:33 PM
Bob Hobden

Rajinder wrote in message
[...]

On thinking about it I am wondering if you could pot up and keep your plants
growing slowly during the winter in a cool frost free place, greenhouse or
cool windowsill, and then plant them out end of May next year to get a very
good start to the season. If we get another like this year it might just
work especially if we don't get a frost until late.
It's the length of the season that's the problem here.
Regards

Old 13-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Druss

"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in message
Hi,

I live in Reading, Berkshire and have an allotment.

Could I grow sweet potatoes please? To-day, I bought some sweet potatoes
that has sprouted and after cutting them into small chunks have grown

them.
Let us see what would happen.

In India, they flourish during the winter.

Rajinder

I would have thought that given enough effort you could grow almost anything
in this country, we can for instance grow bananas and pineapples etc so
maybe you'd have to have a well insulated and heated greenhouse, and you
might expect to have to wait more than one season for the actual returns but
it should be possible.
Duncan