Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Mike

Default Falling leaves. Partner's hobbies

In article , Essjay001
writes

And when he complains about bags of leaves or the cost of compost you then
have a barganing tool.

I must say that the 'attitude' of hubby quite amazed me here. In our
house, Joan is the gardener and as it is her 'domain' I do as I am told,
not because 'She who must be obeyed', but it is 'her' hobby. Left to me
I would concrete it all and paint it green ;-}

I have my hobbies which 'I' run. She quite often joins in on the social
side, big eats, dinners, outings, weekends away etc, but does not tell
me what I can do, or not do as the case may be.

How are other couples over their partner's 'hobby'?

Mike
Bringing up teenagers is like trying to nail jelly to a tree

Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Aileen Howard

Mike

If I insisted, I'm sure I could have a compost bin, but I just respect his
feelings about them. Don't worry, I get my own way quite a lot. I am
actually a very assertive person in many ways - too much so at times, but
you win some, you lose some, c'est la vie!

Aileen

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Essjay001
writes

And when he complains about bags of leaves or the cost of compost you

then
have a barganing tool.

I must say that the 'attitude' of hubby quite amazed me here. In our
house, Joan is the gardener and as it is her 'domain' I do as I am told,
not because 'She who must be obeyed', but it is 'her' hobby. Left to me
I would concrete it all and paint it green ;-}

I have my hobbies which 'I' run. She quite often joins in on the social
side, big eats, dinners, outings, weekends away etc, but does not tell
me what I can do, or not do as the case may be.

How are other couples over their partner's 'hobby'?

Mike

------
Bringing up teenagers is like trying to nail jelly to a tree

Old 08-08-2003, 06:44 PM
Mike

In article , Aileen Howard
writes
Mike

If I insisted, I'm sure I could have a compost bin, but I just respect his
feelings about them. Don't worry, I get my own way quite a lot. I am
actually a very assertive person in many ways - too much so at times, but
you win some, you lose some, c'est la vie!

Aileen

:-((

"I know my place in life"

:-((

Mike
Coming dear
Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue.

Old 08-08-2003, 08:14 PM
Essjay001

Aileen Howard wrote:
If I insisted, I'm sure I could have a compost bin, but I just
respect his feelings about them.

I would respect his feeling about them too if he could put up a god
arguement against.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:14 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Aileen Howard" contains these words:

If I insisted, I'm sure I could have a compost bin, but I just respect his
feelings about them.

Why not install a neat discreet compost container without drawing his
attention to it? As he's not a gardener, he probably won't even notice
it, or realise what it is.

I've known married men who swear they would never touch food containing
that stinky furrin garlic/herb/spice rubbish, sleep under a bag of bird
feathers, use a deodorant soap etc. Some of them are unaware that they
have been happily eating/sleeping/ washing with the enemy for decades.

Janet.

Old 09-08-2003, 08:24 AM
martin

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 23:42:07 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

I've known married men who swear they would never touch food containing
that stinky furrin garlic/herb/spice rubbish, sleep under a bag of bird
feathers, use a deodorant soap etc. Some of them are unaware that they
have been happily eating/sleeping/ washing with the enemy for decades.

Does John read your mail? :-)
--
Martin

Old 09-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

I've known married men who swear they would never touch food

containing
that stinky furrin garlic/herb/spice rubbish, sleep under a bag of bird
feathers, use a deodorant soap etc. Some of them are unaware that they
have been happily eating/sleeping/ washing with the enemy for decades.

Does John read your mail? :-)

Not normally. Actually I'm beginning to talk him into the idea.

The idea of reading your mail or agreeing to have a compost bin?

[Franz Heymann]

Old 09-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Aileen Howard

Agreeing to a compost bin. Any recommendations for something as unobtrusive
as possible?

Regards, Aileen

Old 09-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

I've known married men who swear they would never touch food

containing
that stinky furrin garlic/herb/spice rubbish, sleep under a bag of

bird
feathers, use a deodorant soap etc. Some of them are unaware that

they
have been happily eating/sleeping/ washing with the enemy for

decades.

Does John read your mail? :-)

Not normally. Actually I'm beginning to talk him into the idea.

The idea of reading your mail or agreeing to have a compost bin?

Agreeing to a compost bin. Any recommendations for something as

unobtrusive
as possible?

Blackwall makes a sturdy black dalek shaped lidded bin with a small door at
the bottom for scooping out ready stuff as needed. Our County Council
(North Yorkshire CC) has been promoting their use and a substantial number
of folk, including me, are very happy with them. They cost £19.99. I am
not certain whether the price is a bargain, negotiated by our Council, or
whether it is its normal price.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 09-08-2003, 04:23 PM
Aileen Howard

Thanks Franz

I've looked on the Blackwall website and the normal price is £10 more, so I
think I'll see if our local council is offering anything. They do, from
time to time. I did fancy the ones looking like a beehive, but at around
£150 I think I'll settle for plastic *assuming* I can talk round 'you know
who'.

Old 09-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

I'm glad to know that our council has effectively returned £10 of my rates
to me.
I'll keep fingers crossed that you get one at a reasonable price and that
your better half agrees to the investment.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 09-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Aileen Howard" contains these words:

Agreeing to a compost bin. Any recommendations for something as unobtrusive
as possible?

Top posting forced me to hack down the garbled remainder of your post
with a machete.

Find out subtly what he thinks compost heaps look like. (plastic
dalek, mound of dead vegetation, cube of wood, fake beehive) Clue; do
not use a multiple choice question in your research. The right model can
be chosen from the ones he doesn't know about.

Janet.