Old 08-08-2003, 07:44 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Wild excitement on the chili and pepper front!

Well, as near as you get to exitement these days.

Chickens from various threads coming home to roost in one fell swoop of
mixed metaphors.

Someone complained that their green peppers were rotting for no apparent
reason.
Today I found one of my peppers with rot.
It was a small warped one in the middle of the bush.
As far as I can tell the others are O.K.

Removed the pepper and found it was also ripening - red streaks in the
green.
I cut off the bad half and the other half smells fine.
I noted that there were no seeds though - I would have thought if it was
fertilised then seeds would form?

Checked the chilis to see if they were O.K.
Loads of little chilis all less than 1 1/2" long and slim, some pointing
down and some pointing up.
One of them has turned a dark brown colour - much the same as rot but it is
firm so presumably it is ripening!
So it looks as though these are mini chilis - I was expecting them to grow
longer.
Can't find the label - I put it in the tub when I potted up but it seems to
have disappeared.
I think it only said 'chili pepper' anyway.
Soon I will have to risk one to asses the heat (or lack of it).

So I have rot and two ripenings all in one visit to the patio.

And they say life is boring.

Cheers
Dave R
--
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede

Old 09-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Kay Easton

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes
Checked the chilis to see if they were O.K.
Loads of little chilis all less than 1 1/2" long and slim, some pointing
down and some pointing up.
One of them has turned a dark brown colour - much the same as rot but it is
firm so presumably it is ripening!

Presumably. Peppers seem to produce the red colour and then get rid of
the green, which means they turn brown while they have both the red and
the green present.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 10-08-2003, 11:12 PM
tim

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 11:00:11 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes
Checked the chilis to see if they were O.K.
Loads of little chilis all less than 1 1/2" long and slim, some pointing
down and some pointing up.
One of them has turned a dark brown colour - much the same as rot but it
is
firm so presumably it is ripening!

Presumably. Peppers seem to produce the red colour and then get rid of
the green, which means they turn brown while they have both the red and
the green present.

Most likely. If it's firm then it sounds promising. Depending on the type
they can go from chocolate coloured through to purple.

They also go brown/black with sunburn. You might see some pods with black
patches on their sunny side well berfore they're really ripe. Yes, really.
The red color is produced as a sunscreen.