Old 09-08-2003, 06:48 PM
Registered User

Location: North West England
Default is cosmos easy to grow from seed?

I'm sitting here in the shade, (with my jug of Pimm's), admiring a patio pot of white cosmos - bought from a garden centre - they're not perennials, are they? Do you just buy some seeds and stick them in a pot - in January? inside? Isn't this an interesting discussion group - talking 's much easier than digging...
Old 09-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Bevan Price

--
jayjay

Well they must be if I can succeed. Seeds in tray (indoors) in March to
April. Plant out seedlings when frosty nights are unlikely in your area.

Bevan

Old 09-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 18:03:01 GMT, jayjay
wrote:

I'm sitting here in the shade, (with my jug of Pimm's), admiring a patio
pot of white cosmos - bought from a garden centre - they're not
perennials, are they? Do you just buy some seeds and stick them in a
pot - in January? inside? Isn't this an interesting discussion group
- talking 's much easier than digging...
--

No, don't buy seed. Save some seed from the ones you have. They are
VERY easy to grow, a few seeds to a small pot, no need to prick out.

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-08-2003, 09:22 PM
cpemma

wrote:

I'm sitting here in the shade, (with my jug of Pimm's), admiring a
patio pot of white cosmos - bought from a garden centre - they're
not perennials, are they? Do you just buy some seeds and stick
them in a pot - in January? inside? Isn't this an interesting
discussion group - talking 's much easier than digging...
--

No, don't buy seed. Save some seed from the ones you have. ..

Now, we only grow the white Purity - are they likely to come white again?

To the OP, they grow very rapidly indeed from seed, we sow early May so they
can go into the (cold) greenhouse and get some light, left in the house they
go leggy very quickly.

Perhaps Romanian Cosmos? John McGaw Gardening 1 29-01-2004 01:12 PM
Cosmos D.H.Grant Gardening 1 24-09-2003 04:32 AM
Botanical Interests "Cosmos Yellow Garden" came up pink! Pelvis Popcan Gardening 2 26-08-2003 06:12 AM
Advice re Chocolate Cosmos please Paul & Suzie Beckwith United Kingdom 6 03-08-2003 09:17 AM
Pinch Cosmos Seedlings for Bushiness? Fleemo Gardening 1 29-04-2003 09:56 AM