GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chillies Not Flowering (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/40346-chillies-not-flowering.html)

Sarah Dale 13-08-2003 09:42 PM

Chillies Not Flowering

Hi All,

I planted scotch bonnet chilli seeds from Marshalls this year (having
grown supermarket special saved from a fresh purchased chilli last year),
they were planted early April, gown on carefully, potted up etc..

The plants are about 3 ft tall and are in the conservatory (S facing but
with blinds). The bl**dy things had about 2 flowers each about a month ago
- and these dropped off!!

Since then - no flowers - what can I do to persuade these things to
flower and set fruit??? I've cut back the watering this week, as I was
watering once a day. Any hints and tips?? I will also try talking to them
tonight - actually it will be swearing!

Sarah

Tim 14-08-2003 03:42 PM

Chillies Not Flowering

"Sarah Dale" wrote in message
k...
Hi All,

I planted scotch bonnet chilli seeds from Marshalls this year (having
grown supermarket special saved from a fresh purchased chilli last year),
they were planted early April, gown on carefully, potted up etc..

The plants are about 3 ft tall and are in the conservatory (S facing but
with blinds). The bl**dy things had about 2 flowers each about a month ago
- and these dropped off!!

Since then - no flowers - what can I do to persuade these things to
flower and set fruit??? I've cut back the watering this week, as I was
watering once a day. Any hints and tips?? I will also try talking to them
tonight - actually it will be swearing!

Sarah

Try using fertiliser for flowers (high postassium ? ) rather than
vegetables. Otherwise, I've never had any problems with my chillis'
flowering.
Yes, reduce the watering for a bit - I find letting them almost completely
dry out, then a good soaking works very well. So, keep them on the dry side.

Tim.

David W.E. Roberts 15-08-2003 12:04 PM

Chillies Not Flowering

"Tim" wrote in message
s.com...

"Sarah Dale" wrote in message
[...]

If you have a south facing area in your garden you could try putting them
outside - this would help with the fertilisation as well.

Rusty Hinge 16-08-2003 12:33 AM

Chillies Not Flowering

The message
from "Sarah Dale" contains these words:

The plants are about 3 ft tall and are in the conservatory (S facing but
with blinds). The bl**dy things had about 2 flowers each about a month ago
- and these dropped off!!

I've about a dozen (chhhhhh)jalepino plants, some indoors and most out.
All are flowering well and chillis are growing well.

The ones grown inside are in potting compost, 7" pots, with the
occasional feed of Tomorite into the compost. The compost has been kept
moist continuously.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to