Old 14-08-2003, 10:13 AM
Mike

Default Great Dixter. Follow up

Thank's for the advice on Great Dixter. Went there with Joan yesterday.
Great place, house and gardens.

We had emailed in advance to see if and when Christopher Lloyd was going
to be there and they emailed back, .... Wednesday.

Icing on the Birthday Cake? Christopher taking Joan into the potting
shed so he could sit down and write "Happy birthday for Aug 11 '03" in
one of his books! Wonderful man, very easy to talk to, loves people also
as much as he loves plants and Great Dixter.

And for devotees of his books, he told me that BBC Publications have
asked him to do another one, not quite sure but I believe he said on
House Plants.

One comment on the site, (someone did mention this in their replies to
me previous posting) yes you can get around with a stick, but there are
a lot of steps here and there, so it would make it impossible to see the
whole area in a wheelchair and the house upstairs is definitely a no no
to the total wheelchair bound. Many of the paths are very narrow and you
are brushing plants either side as you walk through.

Joan has come back with a now much treasured book, a few plants and MUCH
inspiration. (More rebuilding/designing/'just do this to the
path/wall/border' coming up)

Mike

Old 14-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Jim W

Mike wrote:

[...]

Very cool that you actually managed to meet Christo.. I ama big fan of
his.. We have his excellent Gardener Cook book and his style is unique.
//
Jim