GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mower repair Webb 17" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/40391-mower-repair-webb-17-a.html)

Ady 14-08-2003 10:52 AM

Mower repair Webb 17"

Hi all, just look for a little help and advice.
I currently have an oldish (~15 years) Webb 17" petrol cylinder mower
that is in need of a good overhaul and repair to clutch cable.
However this is where the fun begins - I popped into our local repair
shop and tried to get a new cable, but unfortunately they do not stock one.
So I asked for a price of a service, sharpen/set and repair and they
quoted over £170.
So the million dollar question is it worth repairing an aging machine
whose parts are hard to come by, or should I use the money to get a new
model although not as good ?

Answers on a postcard.

Ady

Simon Avery 14-08-2003 01:12 PM

Mower repair Webb 17"

Ady wrote:

Hello Ady

A Hi all, just look for a little help and advice.
A I currently have an oldish (~15 years) Webb 17" petrol
A cylinder mower that is in need of a good overhaul and repair

That's a great mower.

A to clutch cable. However this is where the fun begins - I
A popped into our local repair shop and tried to get a new
A cable, but unfortunately they do not stock one. So I asked
A for a price of a service, sharpen/set and repair and
A they quoted over £170. So the million dollar question is it
A worth repairing an aging machine whose parts are hard to
A come by, or should I use the money to get a new model
A although not as good ?

œ170 will not get you a great petrol mower. It'll get you an Ok one, a
Good one if you hunt around, but not a *great* one.

Just my opinion, but I think I'd get it fixed, possibly after hunting
around for a better price.

Rod 14-08-2003 06:32 PM

Mower repair Webb 17"

"Ady" wrote in message ...
Hi all, just look for a little help and advice.
I currently have an oldish (~15 years) Webb 17" petrol cylinder mower
that is in need of a good overhaul and repair to clutch cable.
However this is where the fun begins - I popped into our local repair
shop and tried to get a new cable, but unfortunately they do not stock one.
So I asked for a price of a service, sharpen/set and repair and they
quoted over £170.
So the million dollar question is it worth repairing an aging machine
whose parts are hard to come by, or should I use the money to get a new
model although not as good ?

I think you should get rid of it. I'm prepared to take it off your hands free of charge and save you £170 ;~)))
If you *really* want to spend the money on it look around for a better price but pay the £170 if you must. You won't get a better
small cylinder mower at any price.

Rod

Bob Hobden 14-08-2003 11:12 PM

Mower repair Webb 17"

"Ady" wrote in message ...
Hi all, just look for a little help and advice.
I currently have an oldish (~15 years) Webb 17" petrol cylinder mower
that is in need of a good overhaul and repair to clutch cable.
However this is where the fun begins - I popped into our local repair
shop and tried to get a new cable, but unfortunately they do not stock

one.
So I asked for a price of a service, sharpen/set and repair and they
quoted over £170.
So the million dollar question is it worth repairing an aging machine
whose parts are hard to come by, or should I use the money to get a new
model although not as good ?

Answers on a postcard.

You should be able to buy cable in any length you want and then it's simply
a case of soldering on the connections having un-soldered them from the old
cable. Any competent (and old fashioned) "bike" shop should be able to help
if you take along your old cable.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Ady 15-08-2003 09:12 AM

Mower repair Webb 17"

Thanks all, I have shopped around and managed to get an overhaul,
sharpen and set, repair for £82 + parts + VAT. They will even collect
and deliver :-)
All in all should come in at ~£130 and for that price I'm quite happy.
Thanks for confirming that the machine is worth the repair and I won't
be able to replace with suitable one for same price.

Ady