Old 14-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Annie

Default Moths

We were sat in the garden yesterday evening and noticed lots (really lots)
of moths at a couple of bushes (Ceretostigma, I think it is called). They
appeared to be 'drinking' from the blue flowers, we also checked the
Agapanthus which also seemed to have attracted the same moths. I had heard
of bees going to flowers all the same colour but not moths. Does anyone
know what sort of moths they are? They didn't land but just stayed there
beating their wings all the time. It was fascinating to watch them, mind
you we had to keep the cat away, he thought they were there just for him
to chase!!

Regards Annie

*))) (((*

Old 14-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:16:54 +0100, Annie wrote:

We were sat in the garden yesterday evening and noticed lots (really lots)
of moths at a couple of bushes (Ceretostigma, I think it is called). They
appeared to be 'drinking' from the blue flowers, we also checked the
Agapanthus which also seemed to have attracted the same moths. I had heard
of bees going to flowers all the same colour but not moths. Does anyone
know what sort of moths they are? They didn't land but just stayed there
beating their wings all the time. It was fascinating to watch them, mind
you we had to keep the cat away, he thought they were there just for him
to chase!!

Are you sure they are not hoverflies?

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Aileen Howard

I've seen the same thing - lots of very small brown moths fluttering their
wings madly and seemingly hovering over the purple flowers of my verbena in
the early evening.

Aileen

news

Old 14-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Tim

"Annie" wrote in message
We were sat in the garden yesterday evening and noticed lots (really lots)
of moths at a couple of bushes (Ceretostigma, I think it is called). They
appeared to be 'drinking' from the blue flowers, we also checked the
Agapanthus which also seemed to have attracted the same moths. I had heard
of bees going to flowers all the same colour but not moths. Does anyone
know what sort of moths they are? They didn't land but just stayed there
beating their wings all the time. It was fascinating to watch them, mind
you we had to keep the cat away, he thought they were there just for him
to chase!!

Regards Annie

were they either of these ?
http://www.mxcat.com/bbmindex.html
http://www.leps.it/SpeciesPages/MacroStellat.htm

Tim.

Old 14-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Pickle

"Tim" wrote in message
s.com...

"Annie" wrote in message
We were sat in the garden yesterday evening and noticed lots (really

lots)
of moths at a couple of bushes (Ceretostigma, I think it is called).

They
appeared to be 'drinking' from the blue flowers, we also checked the
Agapanthus which also seemed to have attracted the same moths. I had

heard
of bees going to flowers all the same colour but not moths. Does anyone
know what sort of moths they are? They didn't land but just stayed there
beating their wings all the time. It was fascinating to watch them, mind
you we had to keep the cat away, he thought they were there just for him
to chase!!

Regards Annie

We currently have a large number of silver Y moths who seem to like our
lavender. They sort of hover in front of the flower beating their wings
without landing. Maybe yours are the same?

Old 14-08-2003, 10:18 PM
Neil Jones

Annie wrote in message ...
We were sat in the garden yesterday evening and noticed lots (really lots)
of moths at a couple of bushes (Ceretostigma, I think it is called). They
appeared to be 'drinking' from the blue flowers, we also checked the
Agapanthus which also seemed to have attracted the same moths. I had heard
of bees going to flowers all the same colour but not moths. Does anyone
know what sort of moths they are? They didn't land but just stayed there
beating their wings all the time. It was fascinating to watch them, mind
you we had to keep the cat away, he thought they were there just for him
to chase!!

Regards Annie

Its difficult to say but it is posible that what you saw was the
Silver Y Moth a migrartory species that is quite common. I've had it
in my garden recently
http://cgi.ukmoths.force9.co.uk/show.php?id=1134
http://cgi.ukmoths.force9.co.uk/show.php?id=65

--
Neil Jones- http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn

Old 16-08-2003, 01:33 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:16:54 +0100, Annie wrote:

We were sat in the garden yesterday evening and noticed lots (really lots)
of moths at a couple of bushes (Ceretostigma, I think it is called). They
appeared to be 'drinking' from the blue flowers, we also checked the
Agapanthus which also seemed to have attracted the same moths. I had heard
of bees going to flowers all the same colour but not moths. Does anyone
know what sort of moths they are? They didn't land but just stayed there
beating their wings all the time. It was fascinating to watch them, mind
you we had to keep the cat away, he thought they were there just for him
to chase!!

Are you sure they are not hoverflies?

Hoverflies don't beat their wings whilst on their feet.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to
Old 18-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Annie

Many thanks for the help with the moths on closer inspection they are the
Silver Y moths which we had never seen before. This is a wonderful place
for help...thanks again

Annie

*))) (((*

Old 19-08-2003, 02:44 AM
Mark Fawcett

Annie wrote in message ...
We were sat in the garden yesterday evening and noticed lots (really lots)
of moths at a couple of bushes (Ceretostigma, I think it is called). They
appeared to be 'drinking' from the blue flowers, we also checked the
Agapanthus which also seemed to have attracted the same moths. I had heard
of bees going to flowers all the same colour but not moths. Does anyone
know what sort of moths they are? They didn't land but just stayed there
beating their wings all the time. It was fascinating to watch them, mind
you we had to keep the cat away, he thought they were there just for him
to chase!!

Regards Annie

We had a hovering moth drinking from a lavender bush amonth or so
back, we managed to definitely identify it as a Hummingbird Hawk Moth.
Ive seen one once before in Cornwall and they are recorded as being
summer visitors to the southe west. As we live in North Wales this one
must have made quite a trek - one of the realities of global warming
perhaps.

Mark

pantry moths? len Edible Gardening 13 30-12-2003 07:03 PM
The moths, the moths pete Permaculture 6 14-12-2003 06:42 AM
Surviving a plague of moths David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 30 13-08-2003 10:12 PM
Hawk Moths, Tomato Hornworms, and Nightshade Archie Ritter Edible Gardening 2 11-08-2003 08:32 PM
moths shannie United Kingdom 1 17-06-2003 12:20 AM