GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Great Dixter. Follow up. Books, books, books? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/40479-great-dixter-follow-up-books-books-books.html)

Mike 15-08-2003 09:32 AM

Great Dixter. Follow up. Books, books, books?

In article 1fzpb0n.9feheemuoge1N%00senetnospamtodayta@macunl imited.net
, Jim W writes

Very cool that you actually managed to meet Christo..

Quite easy really, just emailed them and asked when he would be there. I
explained it was a Birthday 'Present' and they put it in his diary that
Joan would be there. We were pleasantly surprised that when I introduced
Joan and remarked it was her Birthday, he said 'Oh yes I remember' :-))
Apparently he takes a 'walk about' in the gardens late afternoons when
he is there, he also walks about in the early mornings, but the grounds
are closed.

I ama big fan of
his.. We have his excellent Gardener Cook book and his style is unique.
//
Jim

I haven't read any of his books, Joan is the gardener, but she does show
me 'snippets' here and there and explains 'That is what I want to do'
and if it involves the hardware, out comes the spade, spirit level, etc.
Not just his books, but what seems like 100's of gardening books, which
leads me to ask the question, 'Why do gardeners have so many books?'

Mike

I was at the airport, checking in at the gate, when the airport employee
asked, "Has anyone put anything in your baggage without your knowledge?"
I said, "If it was without my knowledge, how would I know?"
He smiled and nodded knowingly, "That's why we ask."

martin 15-08-2003 09:42 AM

Great Dixter. Follow up. Books, books, books?

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 08:28:23 +0100, Mike
wrote:

I haven't read any of his books, Joan is the gardener, but she does show
me 'snippets' here and there and explains 'That is what I want to do'
and if it involves the hardware, out comes the spade, spirit level, etc.
Not just his books, but what seems like 100's of gardening books, which
leads me to ask the question, 'Why do gardeners have so many books?'

a)They are an excuse for avoiding/postponing physical work.

b) People give them as presents
--
Martin

Jim W 15-08-2003 10:43 AM

Mike wrote:

I haven't read any of his books, Joan is the gardener, but she does show
me 'snippets' here and there and explains 'That is what I want to do'
and if it involves the hardware, out comes the spade, spirit level, etc.
Not just his books, but what seems like 100's of gardening books, which
leads me to ask the question, 'Why do gardeners have so many books?'

Gardening is such a huge topic of interest that there's always something
new, or at least a variety of ways to do things.. there isn't always a
'right' answer..
Books offer us a chance to 'meet' other styles and views of gardening
that we might otherwise miss. esp when written by great characters..
Christopher Llyoyd springs to mind at once as does Hugh Johnson.
//
Jim

Mike 17-08-2003 12:32 PM

Great Dixter. Follow up. Books, books, books?

In article 1fzq77f.xc5pdhiwblsyN%00senetnospamtodayta@macunl imited.net
, Jim W writes
Mike wrote:

I haven't read any of his books, Joan is the gardener, but she does show
me 'snippets' here and there and explains 'That is what I want to do'
and if it involves the hardware, out comes the spade, spirit level, etc.
Not just his books, but what seems like 100's of gardening books, which
leads me to ask the question, 'Why do gardeners have so many books?'

Gardening is such a huge topic of interest that there's always something
new, or at least a variety of ways to do things.. there isn't always a
'right' answer..
Books offer us a chance to 'meet' other styles and views of gardening
that we might otherwise miss. esp when written by great characters..
Christopher Llyoyd springs to mind at once as does Hugh Johnson.
//
Jim

:-((

I have just read that reply out to Joan who was taking a breather from
OU Studies.

:-((

"Hugh Johnson? Oh that's a new name to me. I would like to know more
about him"

Mike
Off to buy some wood to make yet more bookshelves :-((

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they
go flying by.