GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Shelf liife of rooting hormone (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/40554-shelf-liife-rooting-hormone.html)

martin 17-08-2003 09:48 AM

Shelf liife of rooting hormone

On 17 Aug 2003 01:36:03 -0700, (Mike Lyle)
wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

There has been some nonsense spoken in this ng about the putative shelf

life
of rooting hormones.
The following URL sets the record quite straight, quite unambiguously

and
without prevarication:

http://www.pbi.co.uk/faq1.asp?productid=9
[...]

That URL is also the one which suggests you should use a rooting
hormone for fuchsia and geranium (I assume = pelargonium) cuttings:
among the very easiest plants to propagate at almost any time of year.
Not my first port of call as a source of objective horticultural
information. Anybody who uses that kind of sales talk is a con-man,
and a gardener of Franz's experience knows it.

Yes. The fact that they are trying to sell the stuff does not detract from
the clarity of the statement vis-a-vis the shelf life. They are unlikely to
be so clear about it if it was a lie. They would be taken to court sooner
or later if the statement was untrue or misleading.

This is probably right; but I'd still be inclined to replace the stuff
every year, as I couldn't guarantee the proper storage conditions (I
know you've already mentioned this). A more shameless company would, I
suppose on reflection, recommend this.

I have never seen such a recommendation on any product with a
specified shelf life. Isn't it implicit?
Take the contents of our fridge for instance :-)
--
Martin

martin 17-08-2003 10:22 AM

Shelf liife of rooting hormone

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:11:33 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
. com...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

snip
Mike.

You keep forgetting the reply today. Old age creeping up? :-)

--
Martin

Franz Heymann 17-08-2003 10:22 AM

Shelf liife of rooting hormone

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I agree.
Here is some more scorn on the company involved:
Their website is one of the worst I have encountered. I think they should
employ a more competent webmaster. Starting from their homepage, I found it
impossible to navigate to any page which dealt with rooting hormones.
Moreover, the email address which they quote in the homepage does not work.
How I hate being at the mercy of the big boys. {:-((

Franz

Franz Heymann

Mike.

Franz Heymann 17-08-2003 10:32 AM

wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You should change your supermarket. The first three items I drew at random
out of our fridge all had "use by" dates. {:-))

Franz

martin 17-08-2003 10:32 AM

Shelf liife of rooting hormone

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:22:20 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I have never seen such a recommendation on any product with a
specified shelf life. Isn't it implicit?
Take the contents of our fridge for instance :-)

You should change your supermarket. The first three items I drew at random
out of our fridge all had "use by" dates. {:-))

I meant that most of our fridge contains items that have passed their
use by date :-)
--
Martin

Steve Harris 17-08-2003 05:22 PM

Shelf liife of rooting hormone

In article ,
(Franz Heymann) wrote:

The following URL sets the record quite straight, quite unambiguously
and without prevarication:

And without peer review

Franz Heymann 17-08-2003 06:02 PM

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:22:20 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I have never seen such a recommendation on any product with a
specified shelf life. Isn't it implicit?
Take the contents of our fridge for instance :-)

You should change your supermarket. The first three items I drew at

random
out of our fridge all had "use by" dates. {:-))

I meant that most of our fridge contains items that have passed their
use by date :-)

That's correct. It is true for two of the three items I reported on.

Franz
--
Martin

Franz Heymann 17-08-2003 06:02 PM

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:11:33 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
. com...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

snip
Mike.

You keep forgetting the reply today. Old age creeping up? :-)

I am getting the finger twitches. And with this blasted software, when
you've pushed the "post" button you've had it.
I think I've done it three times today.
I must remember to work off-line until the last moment.
My apologies.

Franz

--
Martin

martin 17-08-2003 07:22 PM

Shelf liife of rooting hormone

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:01:27 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

You keep forgetting the reply today. Old age creeping up? :-)

I am getting the finger twitches. And with this blasted software, when
you've pushed the "post" button you've had it.
I think I've done it three times today.
I must remember to work off-line until the last moment.
My apologies.

no problem I do it myself too!
--
Martin

Rusty Hinge 20-08-2003 11:12 AM

Shelf liife of rooting hormone

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

I am getting the finger twitches. And with this blasted software, when
you've pushed the "post" button you've had it.
I think I've done it three times today.
I must remember to work off-line until the last moment.
My apologies.

Come to sunny Zetnet and use their mail/newsreader, ZIMACS, and you can
work offline all the time, needing only a minute or so for an
up/download, and access mail while online if you are surfing.

Can't sing Zetnet's praises loudly enough.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to

Janet Baraclough 24-08-2003 05:03 PM

Shelf liife of rooting hormone

The message
from Rusty Hinge contains these words:

Come to sunny Zetnet and use their mail/newsreader, ZIMACS, and you can
work offline all the time, needing only a minute or so for an
up/download,

and don't forget, Zimacs is free :~}

Janet.