GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help !!! they wont go away ! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/40748-help-they-wont-go-away.html)

Phil A 18-08-2003 03:59 PM

Help !!! they wont go away !

Me and my girlfriend do not know much about gardening. We have been
trying to keep our flower beds at the front of the house tidy but
every few weeks we keep on getting green fern like plants/weeds
growning everywhere. We pull them up but the just grow back again

here a couple of pictures of them

http://www.khronix.co.uk/images/Picture4.jpg
http://www.khronix.co.uk/images/Picture7.jpg

can anyone identify these or give me tips to get rid of them for good
?

TIA

Tim Challenger 18-08-2003 03:59 PM

Help !!! they wont go away !

On 18 Aug 2003 07:22:15 -0700, Phil A wrote:

Me and my girlfriend do not know much about gardening. We have been
trying to keep our flower beds at the front of the house tidy but
every few weeks we keep on getting green fern like plants/weeds
growning everywhere. We pull them up but the just grow back again

here a couple of pictures of them

http://www.khronix.co.uk/images/Picture4.jpg
http://www.khronix.co.uk/images/Picture7.jpg

can anyone identify these or give me tips to get rid of them for good
?

TIA

Horsetails. The bane of many a gardener.

Three solutions:
1) Keep pulling them up, as soon as you can - try and get them while
they're small, try your best to get as much of th eunderground stem/root as
you can -it's pretty tough and any little bit left will grow a new plant.
if possible - dig over the patch and carefully remove as much root as you
can. They'll gradually weaken and die out -but very gradually.

2) If you want to use chemicals, some people use Roundup or similar, but
the horsetails are pretty tough and the chemical doesn't get absorbed
easily. This can be improved by damaging the outer tissue a little by, say
rubbing them roughly with a gloved hand, then spraying. Others will surely
have better tips.

3) Move home.

Tim

Stephen Howard 18-08-2003 03:59 PM

Help !!! they wont go away !

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:34:11 GMT, Tim Challenger
"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote:

Horsetails. The bane of many a gardener.

Three solutions:
1) Keep pulling them up, as soon as you can - try and get them while
they're small, try your best to get as much of th eunderground stem/root as
you can -it's pretty tough and any little bit left will grow a new plant.
if possible - dig over the patch and carefully remove as much root as you
can. They'll gradually weaken and die out -but very gradually.

2) If you want to use chemicals, some people use Roundup or similar, but
the horsetails are pretty tough and the chemical doesn't get absorbed
easily. This can be improved by damaging the outer tissue a little by, say
rubbing them roughly with a gloved hand, then spraying. Others will surely
have better tips.

3) Move home.

4] Plant Ground Elder, and see which one wins ;)
THEN move home!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk