GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   White wiggling things in Starbucks bags (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/40785-white-wiggling-things-starbucks-bags.html)

hrafndot 18-08-2003 08:23 PM

White wiggling things in Starbucks bags

I left several bags of uncomposted Starbucks coffee grounds unopened for several months. I opened them up to use as mulch and found they were full of white wiggling things. I spread the mulch anyway.

Having subsequently read about white wiggling things which were bad news in gardens, have I unleashed a Pandora's box full of them into tbe garden?

Rachel

Franz Heymann 19-08-2003 01:43 AM

White wiggling things in Starbucks bags

"hrafndot" wrote in message
s.com...
I left several bags of uncomposted Starbucks coffee grounds unopened for
several months. I opened them up to use as mulch and found they were
full of white wiggling things. I spread the mulch anyway.

Having subsequently read about white wiggling things which were bad
news in gardens, have I unleashed a Pandora's box full of them into tbe
garden?

I am totally ignorant of what this is about. What is "Starbucks coffee
grounds"?
Is it commercially available as a mulching material?
Is it cheaper than bark and suchlike?

Franz

Barry & Iris McCanna 19-08-2003 01:43 AM

White wiggling things in Starbucks bags

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"hrafndot" wrote in message
s.com...
I left several bags of uncomposted Starbucks coffee grounds

unopened for
several months. I opened them up to use as mulch and found they

were
full of white wiggling things. I spread the mulch anyway.

Having subsequently read about white wiggling things which were

bad
news in gardens, have I unleashed a Pandora's box full of them

into tbe
garden?

I am totally ignorant of what this is about. What is "Starbucks

coffee
grounds"?
Is it commercially available as a mulching material?
Is it cheaper than bark and suchlike?

Franz

Franz,

Starbucks is the name of a make of coffee. The grounds are what is
left after making fresh coffee. The grounds are very good for putting
round roses, rhododendrons, azaleas, etc.

No idea what the white wiggling things are though :-)

Iris McCanna

Nick Maclaren 19-08-2003 01:44 AM

White wiggling things in Starbucks bags

In article ,
Barry & Iris McCanna wrote:

No idea what the white wiggling things are though :-)

Probably the maggots of some fly. They will die when spread out,
from dessication. Completely ignorable, anyway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

martin 19-08-2003 01:44 AM

White wiggling things in Starbucks bags

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:30:41 +0200, "Barry & Iris McCanna"
wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"hrafndot" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

vestal virgins?
--
Martin

Franz Heymann 19-08-2003 01:44 AM

"Barry & Iris McCanna" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"hrafndot" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Blimey. At four tablespoons per day, it will tale a month to get enough
mulch for one rose bush.

Franz

Kay Easton 19-08-2003 01:44 AM

White wiggling things in Starbucks bags

In article , Barry & Iris McCanna
writes

Starbucks is the name of a make of coffee.

Or, rather, a chain of coffee shops which are gradually overtaking high
streets everywhere.

The grounds are what is
left after making fresh coffee. The grounds are very good for putting
round roses, rhododendrons, azaleas, etc.

Starbucks will give them away free to anyone who takes along a suitable
container, or so I understand.

No idea what the white wiggling things are though :-)

If about 1cm long and not much thicker than a hair, the resident
Oligochaetologist tells me they could be enchetraeids spelling??, a
type of oligochaete worm. Perfectly harmless.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

hrafndot 19-08-2003 08:48 AM

wiggling things

Thanks, I thought I might have bred vine weevil.

The Starbucks grounds are quite a good mulch or compost material. The ph is about 6.8, not as acidic as one might think. I have a feeling this material may discourage slugs and snails tho time will tell.

Rachel

Franz Heymann 19-08-2003 09:54 AM

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Barry & Iris McCanna
writes

Starbucks is the name of a make of coffee.

Or, rather, a chain of coffee shops which are gradually overtaking high
streets everywhere.

The grounds are what is
left after making fresh coffee. The grounds are very good for putting
round roses, rhododendrons, azaleas, etc.

Starbucks will give them away free to anyone who takes along a suitable
container, or so I understand.

Now that's a different proposition. I'll try it out on the nearest coffee
shop next time we visit something in the nature of a town.

Franz

Rusty Hinge 19-08-2003 11:22 AM

White wiggling things in Starbucks bags

The message m
from hrafndot contains these words:

Thanks, I thought I might have bred vine weevil.

The Starbucks grounds are quite a good mulch or compost material. The
ph is about 6.8, not as acidic as one might think. I have a feeling
this material may discourage slugs and snails tho time will tell.

I doubt it. They like beer, so they might resort to coffee to sober them
up afterwards. If they escape.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to

hrafndot 19-08-2003 11:28 AM

coffee grounds mulch

I remember reading a recent flurry in the newspapers about caffeine being a slug/snail deterrant?

Rod 19-08-2003 07:12 PM

White wiggling things in Starbucks bags

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
Now that's a different proposition. I'll try it out on the nearest coffee shop next time we visit something in

the
nature of a town.

No Starbucks in Hawes yet?

Rod

Franz Heymann 19-08-2003 07:33 PM

"Rod" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

Now that's a different proposition. I'll try it out on the nearest

coffee shop next time we visit something in
the
nature of a town.

No Starbucks in Hawes yet?

Never came across the word till I saw it in this ng.

Franz