GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lawnmower Men? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/40835-lawnmower-men.html)

Fludge 19-08-2003 12:02 PM

Lawnmower Men?

Hi.
New around these parts, just had a quick enquiry really. I'm partially
sighted and have just acquired a property mit lawn for the first time. I
don't want to use a mower with a flex since I wouldn't really want to run
over it by accident, not seeing it was there, and do myself a terminal
injury.

I realise this only leaves me with the petrol option, which is a bit silly
for, what is, relatively, a smallish lawn. An old friend of mine said that
there were rechargeable mowers these days; but emphasis is on the old, and
I'm not sure if this can be true? Anyone know anything about such beasts?
Thanks.

Tim Challenger 19-08-2003 12:22 PM

Lawnmower Men?

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:02:31 +0100, Fludge wrote:

Hi.
New around these parts, just had a quick enquiry really. I'm partially
sighted and have just acquired a property mit lawn for the first time. I
don't want to use a mower with a flex since I wouldn't really want to run
over it by accident, not seeing it was there, and do myself a terminal
injury.

I realise this only leaves me with the petrol option, which is a bit silly
for, what is, relatively, a smallish lawn. An old friend of mine said that
there were rechargeable mowers these days; but emphasis is on the old, and
I'm not sure if this can be true? Anyone know anything about such beasts?
Thanks.

Fludge,
your old friend is quite right.

Gardena in Germany do one :
http://www.gardena.com:80/INT/applic...jsp&event=link(details)&wlcs_catalog_item_sku=04040-20_DEde&wlcs_catalog_category_id=PK40501_DEde

I can't seem to find it on thier UK site.
Wolf have a range :
http://www.wolf-garden.com/public_uk...2e&monate=alle
http://www.wolf-garden.com/public_uk...2e&monate=alle
and others.

[email protected] 19-08-2003 01:02 PM

Lawnmower Men?

Fludge wrote:
Hi.
New around these parts, just had a quick enquiry really. I'm partially
sighted and have just acquired a property mit lawn for the first time. I
don't want to use a mower with a flex since I wouldn't really want to run
over it by accident, not seeing it was there, and do myself a terminal
injury.

The chance of any injury to you if the electric mower is properly
plugged into an RCD protected supply is vanishingly small. There are
other much more likely dangers to you when mowing a lawn.

--
Chris Green )

Kay Easton 19-08-2003 01:02 PM

Lawnmower Men?

In article , Fludge
writes
Hi.
New around these parts, just had a quick enquiry really. I'm partially
sighted and have just acquired a property mit lawn for the first time. I
don't want to use a mower with a flex since I wouldn't really want to run
over it by accident, not seeing it was there, and do myself a terminal
injury.

I realise this only leaves me with the petrol option, which is a bit silly
for, what is, relatively, a smallish lawn.

There is also the push mower option.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Tim Challenger 19-08-2003 01:22 PM

Lawnmower Men?

On 19 Aug 2003 11:47:32 GMT, wrote:

Fludge wrote:
Hi.
New around these parts, just had a quick enquiry really. I'm partially
sighted and have just acquired a property mit lawn for the first time. I
don't want to use a mower with a flex since I wouldn't really want to run
over it by accident, not seeing it was there, and do myself a terminal
injury.

The chance of any injury to you if the electric mower is properly
plugged into an RCD protected supply is vanishingly small. There are
other much more likely dangers to you when mowing a lawn.

Just cutting the cable, even if you don't get hurt, is awkward and
expensive enough: having to repair/replace it each time. A push mower is a
possibility as well, as Kay suggested.

Snowman 19-08-2003 01:42 PM

Lawnmower Men?

"Fludge" wrote in message
Hi.
New around these parts, just had a quick enquiry really. I'm partially
sighted and have just acquired a property mit lawn for the first time. I
don't want to use a mower with a flex since I wouldn't really want to run
over it by accident, not seeing it was there, and do myself a terminal
injury.

I realise this only leaves me with the petrol option, which is a bit silly
for, what is, relatively, a smallish lawn. An old friend of mine said

that
there were rechargeable mowers these days; but emphasis is on the old, and
I'm not sure if this can be true? Anyone know anything about such beasts?
Thanks.

You could always get a Mowbot, which does the job automatically for you - at
least that's what they say. Mind you, they're expensive.

K Hollingworth 19-08-2003 02:12 PM

Lawnmower Men?

Fludge wrote:
Can you still obtain pushmowers new?

Yes, B&Q do one, although it says its out of stock.
http://www.diy.com/bq/product/produc...maxBullets=999
(tiny URL version is http://tinyurl.com/kh27)

--
Kirsty Hollingworth
Department of Biology, University of York, York, YO10 5YW

Kay Easton 19-08-2003 04:03 PM

Lawnmower Men?

In article , Fludge
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

There is also the push mower option.

Yes.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Franz Heymann 19-08-2003 04:24 PM

Lawnmower Men?

"Fludge" wrote in message
Hi.
New around these parts, just had a quick enquiry really. I'm partially
sighted and have just acquired a property mit lawn for the first time. I
don't want to use a mower with a flex since I wouldn't really want to run
over it by accident, not seeing it was there, and do myself a terminal
injury.

I realise this only leaves me with the petrol option, which is a bit silly
for, what is, relatively, a smallish lawn. An old friend of mine said

that
there were rechargeable mowers these days; but emphasis is on the old, and
I'm not sure if this can be true? Anyone know anything about such beasts?

In days of old, little lawns were mowed by human-powered mowers.

Franz

Franz Heymann 19-08-2003 04:24 PM

Lawnmower Men?

"Fludge" wrote in message

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Fludge
writes
Hi.
New around these parts, just had a quick enquiry really. I'm partially
sighted and have just acquired a property mit lawn for the first time.

don't want to use a mower with a flex since I wouldn't really want to

run
over it by accident, not seeing it was there, and do myself a terminal
injury.

I realise this only leaves me with the petrol option, which is a bit

silly
for, what is, relatively, a smallish lawn.

There is also the push mower option.

Can you still obtain pushmowers new?

Pushmowers never die. A second hand one will save you money.

Franz

Jabberwoc 19-08-2003 07:33 PM

Lawnmower Men?

Argos do a rechargable mower, chap. Bit pricey, mind.