Old 20-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Pickle

Default codling moth

Any ideas on how to stop these b****y pests ruining my apples? I put
pheromone traps up and manage to catch quite a lot of male moths but every
year 2 out of every 3 apples are drilled into by these disgusting maggots. I
mostly make wine/cider from the apples so it doesn't matter if there are a
few maggots in but I can't keep them for cooking as the maggoty ones go
rotten.

Old 20-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"Pickle" wrote in message
Any ideas on how to stop these b****y pests ruining my apples? I put
pheromone traps up and manage to catch quite a lot of male moths but every
year 2 out of every 3 apples are drilled into by these disgusting maggots.

mostly make wine/cider from the apples so it doesn't matter if there are

few maggots in but I can't keep them for cooking as the maggoty ones go
rotten.

Think positive: You can now make more cider than you had intended.

Franz

Old 20-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:32:26 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

Think positive: You can now make more cider than you had intended.

But the problem is he'll then have to drink more than he intended.
oh... that's not a problem.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old 20-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Jim W

Pickle wrote:

Any ideas on how to stop these b****y pests ruining my apples? I put
pheromone traps up and manage to catch quite a lot of male moths but every
year 2 out of every 3 apples are drilled into by these disgusting maggots. I
mostly make wine/cider from the apples so it doesn't matter if there are a
few maggots in but I can't keep them for cooking as the maggoty ones go
rotten.

You've done step one.. Summer control for males..

Now for step 2 winter control for females.. They are flightless and
will crawl up the trunk to hibernate for the winter before laying in the
codlings come spring/early summer.

This is what tree grease or bands are for.. Apply as per instructions
on tub and keep grease clear of leaves surrounding growth and other
'bridge' material.

Should help.
//
Jim
Old 20-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Pickle

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:32:26 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

Think positive: You can now make more cider than you had intended.

But the problem is he'll then have to drink more than he intended.
oh... that's not a problem.
--
Tim.

Actually, it is! Since I have been making wine/cider I have drunk less than
when I had to buy it. Bit like the working in a sweet shop scenario I guess.
If you are near Portsmouth anytime e-mail me and you can have a free sample.

Old 20-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Rusty Hinge

What's worse than finding a maggot in an apple?

_||_
\ /
\/

_||_
\ /
\/

_||_
\ /
\/

_||_
\ /
\/

Finding half a maggot.....

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to

Codling moth whiteMemphis Australia 9 01-11-2007 03:58 AM
Codling Moth and Entrust Bill Moats Edible Gardening 5 28-03-2004 11:59 PM
Codling Moth and Entrust Bill Moats Edible Gardening 0 02-03-2004 04:54 PM
Codling Moth Alistair Macdonald Gardening 6 07-10-2003 08:02 AM
Codling moth Alistair Macdonald Texas 0 04-10-2003 02:32 PM