Old 20-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Bob H

Default When is the best time to cut back/relocate garden plants

Hi, as the subject line says, I am going to cut back and relocate some of
my garden plants this year. So I was wondering what or when is the best
time to do so? Or does it vary with different plants?

Thanks

Bob H
Leeds UK
Old 20-08-2003, 10:12 PM
bnd777

October is best bet when they are relatively dormant but you also get rain
to settle them in and not too many frosts etc

news

Old 20-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Bob H
writes
Hi, as the subject line says, I am going to cut back and relocate some of
my garden plants this year. So I was wondering what or when is the best
time to do so?

As far as relocating goes, the rule of thumb is to do it in early autumn
before any frosts are expected or in late spring when frosts have
finished. Try to get as big a root ball as you can and make sure you
give the plant plenty of water both before moving it and as you bed it
in to its new spot.

Cutting back depends upon the plant.
As a general rule (but there are exceptions)

If it is a flowering plant
if it flowers before the end of May
cut it back as soon as the flowers have faded
else
cut it back in spring
else
cut it back when it is most convenient
but only when there is no danger of frosts.

I am assuming these are shrubby things.

Herbaceous things you can do outside the main flowering season and when
no frosts are expected - but again, you need as big a root ball as
possible and plenty of water.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,