Old 21-08-2003, 09:14 AM
larrys

Default Pygmaea Lilly not Flowering

Subject says it.

We have a yellow-flowered pygmaea lilly in a half barrel. First year, it
did very little, 2nd year it flowered well but for last 2 years,
nothing. It seems very happy - lots of leaves but no sign of a flower
bud. There are quite a few frogs, toads and newts using the barrel but
no fish.

Any suggestions, please.

--
Larry Stoter
Old 21-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Bob Hobden

Larry wrote in message
We have a yellow-flowered pygmaea lilly in a half barrel. First year, it
did very little, 2nd year it flowered well but for last 2 years,
nothing. It seems very happy - lots of leaves but no sign of a flower
bud. There are quite a few frogs, toads and newts using the barrel but
no fish.

Is it being shaded by something? Perhaps some other plant has grown well and
your lily isn't getting full sun any longer? As you have no fish to provide
the necessary, what about feeding it? Rabbit pellets pushed in the soil of
it's pot work OK, probably chicken pellets would do the same, but not too
many mind or your water will get nasty.
Other than those comments, is it potbound, does it need splitting up or
re-potting?

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 21-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

Larry wrote in message
We have a yellow-flowered pygmaea lilly in a half barrel. First year, it
did very little, 2nd year it flowered well but for last 2 years,
nothing. It seems very happy - lots of leaves but no sign of a flower
bud. There are quite a few frogs, toads and newts using the barrel but
no fish.

Is it being shaded by something? Perhaps some other plant has grown well and
your lily isn't getting full sun any longer?

I would expect that to mean that it produced flower buds but they didn't
fully open.

As you have no fish to provide
the necessary, what about feeding it? Rabbit pellets pushed in the soil of
it's pot work OK, probably chicken pellets would do the same, but not too
many mind or your water will get nasty.
Other than those comments, is it potbound, does it need splitting up or
re-potting?

That would be my guess.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 22-08-2003, 06:14 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , larrys
writes
Subject says it.

We have a yellow-flowered pygmaea lilly in a half barrel. First year, it
did very little, 2nd year it flowered well but for last 2 years,
nothing. It seems very happy - lots of leaves but no sign of a flower
bud. There are quite a few frogs, toads and newts using the barrel but
no fish.

It needs several hours of sunlight a day to produce flowers.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 22-08-2003, 06:14 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Kay Easton
writes

As you have no fish to provide
the necessary, what about feeding it? Rabbit pellets pushed in the soil of
it's pot work OK, probably chicken pellets would do the same, but not too
many mind or your water will get nasty.

Won't adding nutrients encourage the dreaded blanket weed?

Other than those comments, is it potbound, does it need splitting up or
re-potting?

That would be my guess.

Our lily has been in the same pot for about seven years now and it still
flowers prolifically - and neither do we have any fish.
I suspect lack of sunlight.

Old 22-08-2003, 06:16 AM
Bob Hobden

"Jane wrote in message afte myself
As you have no fish to provide
the necessary, what about feeding it? Rabbit pellets pushed in the soil

of
it's pot work OK, probably chicken pellets would do the same, but not

too
many mind or your water will get nasty.

Won't adding nutrients encourage the dreaded blanket weed?

Possibly, but it's a barrel pond, quite easy to deal with.

Other than those comments, is it potbound, does it need splitting up or
re-potting?

That would be my guess.

Our lily has been in the same pot for about seven years now and it still
flowers prolifically - and neither do we have any fish.
I suspect lack of sunlight.

Well our "Gladstoniana" has been in (more out of!) it's pot for nearer 10+
years BUT it's in a decent sized pond (with fish) not a half barrel, and
gets a few hours sun every day. Sunlight is normally the key to a
non-flowering lilly.

Old 22-08-2003, 06:16 AM
Bob Hobden

"Kay wrote in message
Larry wrote in message
We have a yellow-flowered pygmaea lilly in a half barrel. First year,

it
did very little, 2nd year it flowered well but for last 2 years,
nothing. It seems very happy - lots of leaves but no sign of a flower
bud. There are quite a few frogs, toads and newts using the barrel but
no fish.

Bob wrote...
Is it being shaded by something? Perhaps some other plant has grown well

and
your lily isn't getting full sun any longer?

I would expect that to mean that it produced flower buds but they didn't
fully open.

Yes that can happen*, but usually they simply don't throw up any flowers in
the first place.
* Usually that happens when the plant is getting it's sunlight and then,
after initiating flowers, the sunlight stops appearing. Dull weather after a
good sunny spell does it as does competing plants.

Old 22-08-2003, 09:05 AM
larrys

Jane Ransom wrote:

In article , larrys
writes
Subject says it.

We have a yellow-flowered pygmaea lilly in a half barrel. First year, it
did very little, 2nd year it flowered well but for last 2 years,
nothing. It seems very happy - lots of leaves but no sign of a flower
bud. There are quite a few frogs, toads and newts using the barrel but
no fish.

It needs several hours of sunlight a day to produce flowers.

It is quite well exposed - I say that during the spring/summer as its
leaves start to come to the surface, it has full sunlight from mid
morning until early evening.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 22-08-2003, 09:05 AM
larrys

Bob Hobden wrote:

Larry wrote in message
We have a yellow-flowered pygmaea lilly in a half barrel. First year, it
did very little, 2nd year it flowered well but for last 2 years,
nothing. It seems very happy - lots of leaves but no sign of a flower
bud. There are quite a few frogs, toads and newts using the barrel but
no fish.

Is it being shaded by something? Perhaps some other plant has grown well and
your lily isn't getting full sun any longer?

Spring/summer gets full sunlight mid-morning to early evening.

As you have no fish to provide
the necessary, what about feeding it? Rabbit pellets pushed in the soil of
it's pot work OK, probably chicken pellets would do the same, but not too
many mind or your water will get nasty.

I'd assumed that as it is producing lots of leaves, that it had enough
food - perhaps it is lacking phosporous (isn't that what's needed for
flowering?)
Other than those comments, is it potbound, does it need splitting up or
re-potting?

Could be - I'll pull it out this winter.

Thank you.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 22-08-2003, 09:32 AM
Kay Easton

In article , larrys
writes

I'd assumed that as it is producing lots of leaves, that it had enough
food - perhaps it is lacking phosporous (isn't that what's needed for
flowering?)

Potassium
--
Kay Easton