Old 22-08-2003, 12:22 PM
DavidG

Default Need help identifying plant

Anyone here been to Mallorca ?
The pavements and the central reservations in the roads are planted full of
a shrub/small tree I was hoping to identify.

They grow to about 8 feet. The leaves are about 6 inches long, sword shaped,
dark green in clusters.
They flower quite profusely - there are red (rosy red) or white varieties.

I am trying to identify this plant and then see if it grows here.
Wish I'd taken a picture of it now.

Old 22-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , DavidG
writes
Anyone here been to Mallorca ?
The pavements and the central reservations in the roads are planted full of
a shrub/small tree I was hoping to identify.

They grow to about 8 feet. The leaves are about 6 inches long, sword shaped,
dark green in clusters.
They flower quite profusely - there are red (rosy red) or white varieties.

I am trying to identify this plant and then see if it grows here.
Wish I'd taken a picture of it now.

Nerium oleander, probably. You can buy it here, but AFAIK it is not
hardy. It is very poisonous.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 22-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

snip

They grow to about 8 feet. The leaves are about 6 inches long,

sword shaped,
dark green in clusters.
They flower quite profusely - there are red (rosy red) or white

varieties.

I am trying to identify this plant and then see if it grows here.
Wish I'd taken a picture of it now.

Nerium oleander, probably. You can buy it here, but AFAIK it is not
hardy. It is very poisonous.

--
Kay Easton

Kay,

I'm sure it is Nerium Oleander. In France it is called Laurier Rose.
Very poisonous and not hardy except in the Mediterranean areas here.
It is possible to have one in a pot and take it inside for the winter,
protect with fleece, etc. They are always on sale here in the
spring, the supermarkets and garden centres are full of them. I'm
sure most people just put them outside for the summer and then let
them die off.

Regards
Iris McCanna

Old 22-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Emrys Davies

'David',

This site shows you a photo. of the plant and also gives a lot of
information about it.

http://chemweb.calpoly.edu/chem/bail...rsF2000/Colin/

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 22-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , DavidG
writes

Nerium oleander, probably. You can buy it here, but AFAIK it is not
hardy. It is very poisonous.

--
Kay Easton

I reckon you are right, it sounds like nerium oleander, as to hardness, it
all depends on where David is in the UK, they grow quite happily here but
unless sited carefully they won't flower (makes the whole exercise rather
pointless!) and the double flowered sorts do less well outdoors as the
flowers go all yukky in the wet.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 22-08-2003, 10:12 PM
DavidG

Thats the one - blimey you people respond so quickly with such knowledge
!!!!

Highly toxic ? hmmm - scrub that off the list then. Probably wouldn't last
in Surrey anyway.

once again, many thanks.

Old 23-08-2003, 09:33 AM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:09:58 +0000 (UTC), "DavidG"
wrote:

Highly toxic ? hmmm - scrub that off the list then. Probably wouldn't last
in Surrey anyway.

I agree with the id of oleander. I grew one once, keeping it in the
house during winter, and in the garden in summer. A very attractive
plant.
Unless you have family members who are likely to "graze" on your
houseplants I don't think you need worry too much of its toxicity,
just be aware of it.

Pam in Bristol