GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hedge recommendation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/41110-hedge-recommendation.html)

Richard Savage 22-08-2003 04:42 PM

Hedge recommendation

Looking to plant a hedge to screen my front garden from the road and
provide cover for a trailer that lives in the front garden.

Suggestions gratefully received.

Richard

bnd777 22-08-2003 06:22 PM

Hedge recommendation

Probably the one place where Leylandii would be useful
Pyracantha also grows quickly as does Escallonia
The latter 2 being more controllable and pretty with berries for winter
colour and feeding wild birds

Jim W 22-08-2003 08:02 PM

Hedge recommendation

Richard Savage wrote:

Looking to plant a hedge to screen my front garden from the road and
provide cover for a trailer that lives in the front garden.

Suggestions gratefully received.

www.hedging.co.uk get catalogue.. Lots of useful information.
//
Jim

Mike Lyle 23-08-2003 10:02 AM

Hedge recommendation

"bnd777" wrote in message ...
Probably the one place where Leylandii would be useful
Pyracantha also grows quickly as does Escallonia
The latter 2 being more controllable and pretty with berries for winter
colour and feeding wild birds

"Richard Savage" wrote in message
Looking to plant a hedge to screen my front garden from the road and
provide cover for a trailer that lives in the front garden.

Suggestions gratefully received.

Thuja plicata makes a better hedge than the dreaded Leylandii: kept
trimmed, it will cover right down to the ground.

Yes, escallonia's good for an informal hedge: lovely flowers, lightly
scented, but no berries as far as I know. Maybe not for the East of
England.

Mike.

Richard Savage 26-08-2003 06:22 PM

Hedge recommendation

Thanks very much for the advice. I'm off to get a catalogue.

Cheers Richard