Old 23-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Graham Dixon

Default Off Topic - but pleas read - it also affect you

As you know from the TV ads, the new (sometimes very expensive) directory
enquiry systems come into play today. Also new telephone directory's are
being distributed. The new scheme of things leaves a lot to be desired and I
wonder how many people find themselves in the same position as me.
I live in The Village of Gregson Lane - Hoghton (between Preston and
Blackburn) Traditionally (well at least for the past twenty years) my number
has appeared in both the Preston and Blackburn Phonebooks and people in the
area have been given both Preston and Blackburn phonebook because of the
geographical location of the area. (I have a 01254 number which is Blackburn
and a PR5 postcode which is Preston).
The new regime dictates that my number will no longer appear in the Preston
Phonebook because it starts with the 01254 (Blackburn code) and also that I
will not receive a Blackburn phonebook because I have a Preston postcode.
This means that my relatives, friends etc, in Preston, will not be able to
look up my number any more and will have to pay for directory enquiries.
Also I cant look up Blackburn numbers (including people who live in the same
village) because (like me) their numbers appear in the Blackburn phonebook
and they will only receive a Preston phonebook.
Graham Dixon
77 Hayfield Avenue
Hoghton
Lancashire
PR5 0AX
01254 853929

Old 23-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Mike Lyle

"Graham Dixon" drop the bomb to reply wrote in message ...
[...]

Pain in the ace; but they will flog you the neighbouring phone book.

Mike.
Old 23-08-2003, 05:03 PM

om...
:
: Pain in the ace; but they will flog you the neighbouring phone book.
:
: Mike.

You can also use BT on line to get numbers.

Old 23-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Graham Dixon
writes
Traditionally (well at least for the past twenty years) my number
has appeared in both the Preston and Blackburn Phonebooks and people in the
area have been given both Preston and Blackburn phonebook because of the
geographical location of the area. (I have a 01254 number which is Blackburn
and a PR5 postcode which is Preston).

You are lucky! Ours appears only in one directory (or would if we were
not ex-directory) although the boundary is only 100yds down the road. We
used to be able to get the neighbouring directory free, but that service
was withdrawn a couple of years back.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: