Old 24-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Apples falling off trees?

A lot of apples are falling from the trees due, I suspect, to the dry
weather we are having.

At this rate we will have none to eat through the winter, should I pick them
now, although
they are not yet ripe, and store them in the hope they will ripen in
storage?

Alan

Old 24-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

A lot of apples are falling from the trees due, I suspect, to the dry
weather we are having.

At this rate we will have none to eat through the winter, should I pick them
now, although
they are not yet ripe, and store them in the hope they will ripen in
storage?

They should continue to ripen in storage (the ones that are ready for
eating from Dec onwards *have* to finish their ripening in storage).

I'd suggest picking the ones that come away easily when you gently lift
them, but leaving the rest for a little longer.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 24-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay Easton wrote in message ...
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

A lot of apples are falling from the trees due, I suspect, to the dry
weather we are having.

At this rate we will have none to eat through the winter, should I pick them
now, although
they are not yet ripe, and store them in the hope they will ripen in
storage?

They should continue to ripen in storage (the ones that are ready for
eating from Dec onwards *have* to finish their ripening in storage).

I'd suggest picking the ones that come away easily when you gently lift
them, but leaving the rest for a little longer.

Sound sense. But it's worth asking if by any chance the trees are
getting shaded by others nearby finally growing that bit too tall
without your having noticed. I mention this because it's happened to
me: I'm incurably careless, and let a field hedge on the sunny side
get too tall, and the apples started to drop. Similarly a damson which
always flowers well but used to lose its fruit is bearing well this
year after I've chopped down a misplaced cypress.

Mike.