Old 28-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Zapp Brannigan

Default Getting rid of brambles.

Got some area round the back of the house that been overrun with
brambles. What is the best method of getting rid of them, so they don't
come back?

Thanks.

Old 28-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Dave Painter

"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in message
Got some area round the back of the house that been overrun with
brambles. What is the best method of getting rid of them, so they don't
come back?

I cut mine to the ground,
watered with SBK brushwood killer
Then covered with a carpet,
After a couple of months through the winter I dug the dead and rotting
roots
out of a very friable ground.

YMMV

Dave

Old 28-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Zapp Brannigan

Dave Painter enlightened the world by saying on 28/08/2003 19:41:

"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in message

Got some area round the back of the house that been overrun with
brambles. What is the best method of getting rid of them, so they don't
come back?

I cut mine to the ground,
watered with SBK brushwood killer
Then covered with a carpet,
After a couple of months through the winter I dug the dead and rotting
roots
out of a very friable ground.

YMMV

Dave

The area will not be used for planting anythine else there, I was gonna
mix up some caustic soda and give them a "watering". Dunno if this
would work thou...

Old 28-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Zapp
Brannigan writes
Got some area round the back of the house that been overrun with
brambles. What is the best method of getting rid of them, so they don't
come back?

Cut them off close to the ground. Some new shoots will appear, but they
are easily removed and the root systems will rot away by next spring.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 29-08-2003, 04:03 PM
pied piper

"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in message
Dave Painter enlightened the world by saying on 28/08/2003 19:41:

"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in message

Got some area round the back of the house that been overrun with
brambles. What is the best method of getting rid of them, so they don't
come back?

I cut mine to the ground,
watered with SBK brushwood killer
Then covered with a carpet,
After a couple of months through the winter I dug the dead and rotting
roots
out of a very friable ground.

YMMV

Dave

The area will not be used for planting anythine else there, I was gonna
mix up some caustic soda and give them a "watering". Dunno if this
would work thou...

no use sbk the caustic soda wont kill all the roots the sbk gets into the
root system

Old 29-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Graham Dixon

I've had succes painting a few leaves with a 50-50 mixture of undiluted
brushwood killer and parrafin

Graham Dixon

Old 29-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Mike Lyle

Alan Gould wrote in message ...
In article , Zapp
Brannigan writes
Got some area round the back of the house that been overrun with
brambles. What is the best method of getting rid of them, so they don't
come back?

Cut them off close to the ground. Some new shoots will appear, but they
are easily removed and the root systems will rot away by next spring.

This is the non-chemical approach, and has worked for me more than
once. But don't interpret it as just knocking the new shoots off: you
have to pull or fork out the tough central crown the shoots come from,
or they'll keep on coming. Any actual roots left behind can, as Alan
says, be left to rot, as they won't send out shoots. I'd invest in
some stout leather gloves before starting!

There will be some seedlings and probably nettles for the next couple
of years, but they're easy enough to deal with. One lawn I made of an
old bramble-patch still, three years later, sends up surprises in the
form of bindweed seedlings: no top growth was visible at the time I
did the clearing; if it was one of those very fine short lawns I think
they'd probably be dealt with just by mowing. As somebody else --
sorry, I've forgotten who -- said, the soil is likely to be in
excellent condition, as all those leaves and canes rot down nicely.

It may look a bit frightening, but it's actually not a very difficult
job, and it's very satisfying. I go at the canes with secateurs,
usually cutting each one down in manageable lengths till I get to the
cent long ones are more difficult to move about, and more likely to
catch you on the ears.

Mike.
Old 30-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Bob Hobden

"Alan wrote in message after Zapp
Brannigan writes
Got some area round the back of the house that been overrun with
brambles. What is the best method of getting rid of them, so they don't
come back?

Cut them off close to the ground. Some new shoots will appear, but they
are easily removed and the root systems will rot away by next spring.
--

Quite agree, we had a large old patch next to one of our allotments and that
went when we burnt it away and then simply mowed the area every few weeks

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 30-08-2003, 07:15 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Steve
Harris writes

Yes, going for the crowns helps but the remaining roots WILL send up
shoots

That is true, but if new shoots are tackled early they are quite soft
and easy to snip off with secateurs. Keeping off all top growth will
hasten the deterioration of the root system in the ground.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 30-08-2003, 11:34 AM
Mike Lyle

Alan Gould wrote in message ...
In article , Steve
Harris writes

Yes, going for the crowns helps but the remaining roots WILL send up
shoots

That is true, but if new shoots are tackled early they are quite soft
and easy to snip off with secateurs. [...]

Gosh! All along I thought the small regrowths must be seedlings. Live
and learn: thanks to both.

Mike.
Old 30-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Gosh! All along I thought the small regrowths must be seedlings. Live
and learn: thanks to both.

Bramble seedlings could be grown by saving seed from blackberries, but
if propagation did happen to be desired, a better way would be to let
the tips of runners root into soil. They will do that anyway if you
leave them to their own devices.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 30-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Mike Lyle

Alan Gould wrote in message ...
In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Gosh! All along I thought the small regrowths must be seedlings. Live
and learn: thanks to both.

Bramble seedlings could be grown by saving seed from blackberries, but
if propagation did happen to be desired, a better way would be to let
the tips of runners root into soil. They will do that anyway if you
leave them to their own devices.

No, we're trying to kill 'em, not grow 'em! (Interestingly, I've never
had a thornless volunteer seedling from a thornless parent.)

Mike.

Getting Rid of Thrips Shiva Roses 8 08-04-2003 03:32 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 03:44 AM
Getting rid of ivy Karen C Australia 3 05-04-2003 07:34 AM
getting rid of vines Elizabeth Jones Gardening 2 19-03-2003 04:44 PM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 07:03 PM