Old 28-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Mark S.

Default Preparation work for lawn(s)?

I've reached a point with my house renovation where I'm looking to
start a lawn to reduce the "scorched earth" policy I've been running
for the last few months.

Front garden, was a lawn at one point probably in the 1950's which had
turned into a lawn of anything and everything but lawn grass. Three
sided border full of plants of every type mixed in with weeds a plenty
along with some "green sticky stuff weed" that was a nightmare to get
rid of.

I've removed the lawn and about four inches of topsoil that was root
infested. The border I've been digging over and weeding for 18
months.

The soil is classed as I wish I had soil like that by anyone who sees
it, no clay as such, nice and loose, drains very well etc.

Is there any particular things I need to do before casting the seeds
as it were for a new lawn. The old lawn area I need to work on the
root out (sorry) the white grass roots, couch grass I think that
remain. It needs some levelling up where the old lawn was removed but
I've a couple of tons of spare soil in the back garden the birds are
using as a playground at the moment to do this with.

If anyone has any pointers I'd be grateful. I'm no expert gardener
but can dig all day long if I have to and the two bean plants in the
back garden are over the fence and reaching for the neighbours washing
line with just one cane and some watering. All my previous gardening
experience is indoors so these things are new to me.

Mark S.

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
Preparation for lawn John Horne United Kingdom 3 13-02-2004 09:44 PM
Preparation for lawn John Horne United Kingdom 0 13-02-2004 01:10 PM
New lawn preparation Steve Harris United Kingdom 4 13-07-2003 01:10 AM
New lawn preparation Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 11-07-2003 11:37 PM