Old 29-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Sacha

Default Jersey Sunrise tomatoes

I think somebody asked me last year for seeds from these and I forgot all
about it. If whoever it was cares to email me, I'll send some off in due
course.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 29-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Sacha
writes
I think somebody asked me last year for seeds from these and I forgot all
about it. If whoever it was cares to email me, I'll send some off in due
course.

'Twas I indeed. Never mind, we grew Harbinger instead and they are
everything we could wish for from tomato plants. We had some seed of
genuine local Walking Stick Cabbage from an archaeological friend who
frequently works in Jersey - they have done very well despite the dry
summer and caterpillar attacks. I shall be sowing some more very soon to
over-winter and get a good start next spring.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 30-08-2003, 06:15 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Sacha
writes

So sorry to have forgotten. If you still want some JS, let me have your
address. Has your archaeological friend been involved in the Mont Orgueil
dispute? ;-) I tried to grow some Jersey Cabbage last year and forgot all
about them with predictable results. How tall did yours get and did you
make walking sticks from them?

Our friend chats endlessly with us about gardening, but she is very
taciturn indeed about archaeology.

Thanks for the offer of Jersey Sunrise tomato seed, but we've had such a
glut of tomatoes for freezing this year and last year that we really are
going to grow only sufficient next year for fresh eating - i.e 4 to 6.

This year's Walking Stick cabbages grew to 4-5ft. with thick stems plus
side and top greenery. They were started rather late though and they
didn't have the kind of attention which should bring them to 8 or 10ft,
hopefully with more slender stems. I am going to begin some more seed
now to over-winter and try for better results next year. I noticed that
the best of this year's plants were those in full sunlight, so I'll give
them a more favourable position next year.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 30-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Steve
Harris writes

Mine has got to about 4-5 feet. It was started early and pampered. I
understand they should be left until next spring for harvesting. Maybe
it will be bigger then?

Ha, perhaps that is the over-wintering part then? I'll try leaving this
year's stems in but I can't really see them growing much more now.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.