Old 29-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Janice

Default Moving Shrubs

I've planted a couple of shrubs too close to each other so I need to move
one of them.

So, which is easier to move -- buddleja davidii or viburnum tinnus? Both
are currently about the same size.

Thanks.

Old 29-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janice" wrote in message
I've planted a couple of shrubs too close to each other so I need to move
one of them.

So, which is easier to move -- buddleja davidii or viburnum tinnus? Both
are currently about the same size.

How big are they?

Franz

Old 30-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Janice

Hi, Franz. The buddleja is about 6 feet tall, but it will be cut severely
back to a couple of feet in February. The viburnum is about 3 feet tall and
wide.

Thanks.

Old 30-08-2003, 04:02 PM
David Hill

Why not take cuttings of the Buddleia end of Sept, then if it doesn't
survive the move you will still have a plant to replace it.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 30-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janice" wrote in message
I've planted a couple of shrubs too close to each other so I need to

move
one of them.

So, which is easier to move -- buddleja davidii or viburnum tinnus?

Both
are currently about the same size.

How big are they?

Franz

Hi, Franz. The buddleja is about 6 feet tall, but it will be cut severely
back to a couple of feet in February. The viburnum is about 3 feet tall

and
wide.

Thanks.

My own guess is that the Viburnun tinus is going to be easier to move.

Franz

Old 30-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"David Hill" wrote in message
Why not take cuttings of the Buddleia end of Sept, then if it doesn't
survive the move you will still have a plant to replace it.

That would be fine if he does not mind losing at least one year's flowers
while the Buddleia cutting beds itself in.

Franz

Old 30-08-2003, 11:43 PM
David Hill

"..........That would be fine if he does not mind losing at least one year's
flowers while the Buddleia cutting beds itself in........"

And if the viburnum tinnus doesn't take the move its a total loss.
The buddleia will flower next year, granted not as much flower as this years
bush, but will still flower.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 31-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Tumbleweed

"Janice" wrote in message
I've planted a couple of shrubs too close to each other so I need to

move
one of them.

So, which is easier to move -- buddleja davidii or viburnum tinnus?

Both
are currently about the same size.

How big are they?

Franz

Hi, Franz. The buddleja is about 6 feet tall, but it will be cut

severely
back to a couple of feet in February. The viburnum is about 3 feet tall

and
wide.

Thanks.

My own guess is that the Viburnun tinus is going to be easier to move.

Franz

I moved a viburnum last Autumn, its growing well now.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 31-08-2003, 01:12 AM
keith

probably the viburnam would be easiest to move but it should be starting
into flower growth,so this could be affected!i would move the buddleja,in
autumn & plant it were it has room to grow,it can be cut right back.They are
quite cheep to replace compared to a good sized viburnam.but i think it
would be o.k.
hope this helps
keith

Old 31-08-2003, 10:23 AM
Janice

Keith, you're right - the buddleja was cheaper and it grew like crazy in
just one year, compared to the viburnum which is plodding along at a much
slower rate and is probably four times more expensive. So, the buddleja
will be the one I'll move.

Many thanks.