GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Slightly OT - Rope (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/41735-slightly-ot-rope.html)

Alison 30-08-2003 11:03 PM

Slightly OT - Rope

Does anyone know where you can get thick rope to swag over a pergola?
Possibly on-line or a national chain (we're in East Scotland). The yachting
chandlery stores seem to only have very thin nylon stuff. We were hoping to
get sisal/hemp/cotton stuff. Blinkin' Groundforce seems to always be able
to get hold of what *they* want for these seaside type gardens and decking
boundaries.

Any pointers most welcome.

TIA
--Alison

martin 30-08-2003 11:03 PM

Slightly OT - Rope

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 22:51:24 +0100, "Alison"
o.uk wrote:

Does anyone know where you can get thick rope to swag over a pergola?
Possibly on-line or a national chain (we're in East Scotland). The yachting
chandlery stores seem to only have very thin nylon stuff. We were hoping to
get sisal/hemp/cotton stuff. Blinkin' Groundforce seems to always be able
to get hold of what *they* want for these seaside type gardens and decking
boundaries.

Any pointers most welcome.

http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/

He visits most boat jumbles
--
Martin

bnd777 31-08-2003 12:02 AM

Slightly OT - Rope

o.uk wrote:

Does anyone know where you can get thick rope to swag over a pergola?
Possibly on-line or a national chain (we're in East Scotland). The

yachting
chandlery stores seem to only have very thin nylon stuff. We were hoping

get sisal/hemp/cotton stuff. Blinkin' Groundforce seems to always be

able
to get hold of what *they* want for these seaside type gardens and

decking
boundaries.

Any pointers most welcome.

http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/

He visits most boat jumbles
--
Martin

Could be an expensive project though

Sacha 31-08-2003 11:32 AM

Slightly OT - Rope

in article , Alison at
wrote on 30/8/03 10:51
pm:

Does anyone know where you can get thick rope to swag over a pergola?
Possibly on-line or a national chain (we're in East Scotland). The yachting
chandlery stores seem to only have very thin nylon stuff. We were hoping to
get sisal/hemp/cotton stuff. Blinkin' Groundforce seems to always be able
to get hold of what *they* want for these seaside type gardens and decking
boundaries.

You might want to have a bit of a re-think about this and go for thick chain
instead - easier to find, too and still nautical. I have done this sort of
thing twice, using rope the first time. I found that in our wet climate,
the rope went green and manky and looked disgusting within one full year.
The chain, OTOH, had no problems. We used staples to attach it to the top of
each post and swagged it from one to the other to create a sort of pillar
effect along a drive and then grew all sorts of climbers up it.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Rod 31-08-2003 02:42 PM

Slightly OT - Rope

"Alison" o.uk wrote in message
Does anyone know where you can get thick rope to swag over a pergola?
Possibly on-line or a national chain (we're in East Scotland). The yachting
chandlery stores seem to only have very thin nylon stuff. We were hoping to
get sisal/hemp/cotton stuff. Blinkin' Groundforce seems to always be able
to get hold of what *they* want for these seaside type gardens and decking
boundaries.

Any pointers most welcome.

TIA
--Alison

Here's where we got ours from
http://www.ropemakers.com/english.asp

Nice folks to deal with and a good range of products.

Rod

Rusty Hinge 01-09-2003 01:03 AM

Slightly OT - Rope

The message
from martin contains these words:

Did you use toilet chain or anchor chain?

unforgets

A friend has a large (rocket or artillery) ammunition box full of chain
- the stuff you hang from posts, and which has double-ended pyramid
spikes at intervals along it.

Anyone interested can e-mail me (address coded at bottom of sig). Chain
resides in South Norfolk ATM.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to