GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Aubergine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/41814-aubergine.html)

Janice 31-08-2003 10:03 PM

Aubergine

I have 2 aubergine plants in my greenhouse, in growbags, regularly fed with
tomato fertiliser. Both are in flower but there's absolutely no fruit
whatsoever. What have I done wrong?

Nick Maclaren 31-08-2003 11:12 PM

Aubergine

In article ,
Janice wrote:
I have 2 aubergine plants in my greenhouse, in growbags, regularly fed with
tomato fertiliser. Both are in flower but there's absolutely no fruit
whatsoever. What have I done wrong?

Probably no fertilisation. Try doing it by hand.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Janice 01-09-2003 10:12 AM

Aubergine

Hi, Nick. That's probably the reason. I've been on holiday and the flowers
were out when I came back so I wasn't able to pollinate them. Is it too
late now, though, or is there still time to produce aubergines?

Thanks.

Colin Malsingh 02-09-2003 10:35 PM

Aubergine

In article ,
Janice wrote:
I have 2 aubergine plants in my greenhouse, in growbags, regularly fed

with
tomato fertiliser. Both are in flower but there's absolutely no fruit
whatsoever. What have I done wrong?

Probably no fertilisation. Try doing it by hand.

I don't know whether it's been an "iffy" year for Aubergines.

Out of 10 "SliceRite" plants (5 in the greenhouse, 5 under plastic in
the allotment), results have been as follows:

- All have had loads of beautiful purple flowers
- Only half of the plants actually produced fruit
- Most of the fruit has been small

My feeling is that as the Summer is waning and there's less warmth, we
can't expect a huge amount more growth. However, of two that I tried
so far, they tasted delicious (every bit as good as shop-bought)
though their skins were a bit tough.

Other advice:
- Feeding (as you have done)
- Mist the flowers with a spray gun
(supposed to help pollination)
- Keep a humid atmosphere around the plants

Maybe we'll have to try again next year?

Colin
-----
(Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)

Peter Goddard 03-09-2003 07:42 AM

Aubergine

I had two plants in the greenhouse and two outside. The green-house plants
produced approx six fruits each. They took ages to grow to a decent size and
had uneven skins with the odd pock-mark. A few still haven't reached full
size, but of those that did the taste was delicious.
The outside plants produced one fruit apiece and these are currently about
half-sized. Given the fabulous summer we've had I don't think I'll bother
growing 'em outside again.
No special efforts needed other than misting when in flower and feeding when
in fruit.

Charlie 03-09-2003 08:04 AM

Aubergine

I've had a bad year with my aubergines too. I fed, I watered, I misted and
a shook - flowers but no fruit. Beautiful flowers though.

Charlie.