Old 01-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Reg

Default Deterring Foxes

A question from a newbie to this group, who to be honest doesn't do much
gardening!

I have a problem with foxes, digging the lawn up, chewing holes in the net
of childrens' football goal and fouling all over the place.

What makes this inevitable is our neighbour feeding them chicken every
night.

Are there any methods of deterring them from entering our garden?

I expect there are substances that deter them by smell. We have cats and
obviously don't want them affected.

Ant advice welcome.

Thanks

Old 01-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Emrys Davies

'Reg.'

I have had a lot of experience trying to deter foxes and you can rest
assured that smell will not put them off. They soon get used to it.

I used teabags which had been dunked in Renardine
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=154997 but they simply carried the
bags around the site with me watching from a bedroom window.

That was many years ago and maybe the modern Renardine is more
effective. I don't know.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 01-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Emrys Davies

'Reg',

Sorry about the URL. This is it.

http://www.roebuck-eyot.co.uk/

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 01-09-2003, 04:02 PM

~
~I have a problem with foxes, digging the lawn up, chewing holes in the net
~of childrens' football goal and fouling all over the place.
~
~What makes this inevitable is our neighbour feeding them chicken every
~night.
Deliberately? I guess if you consider them a pest or health hazard you
could call environmental health but as many folk have said on this
group, it would mean a dispute with your neighbour.
Can you not google about to get health facts on foxes and then go
round to speak with them on the matter? You may be able to persuade
them with facts.

~
~Are there any methods of deterring them from entering our garden?

Chicken wire or that green fence wire all round the boundary?
Expensive but works. Possibly you'd need to bury it slightly to stop
them digging under it. May have to be quite tall. My dad did this
years ago when we had a rather escapologist cairn terrier puppy. He
put it at the base of the hedges that were then the garden boundary,
so the dog would have had to cut through the wire or tunnel through a
hawthorn. We didn't lose him much after that unless we left the gate
open!

~
~I expect there are substances that deter them by smell. We have cats and
~obviously don't want them affected.
Renardine ?sp

Chicken wire will hopefully encourage cats to stay in, too, preventing
them getting into other folks' gardens and also you know they're safe.
Not the easiest stuff to climb or hop up.

Mind you, I've discovered clematis is a great thing for catproofing a
garden. My current little madam can't get past the barrier it makes
:-) Mostly tangutica and montana, with a bit of viticella and a
passiflora. She can't see the 6' fence any more so can't climb it.

~Ant advice welcome.
tempting... hot water and borax? 8-)
runs off fast

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 01-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Reg

The problem with that is we have cats.

Thanks for trying.

Old 01-09-2003, 04:32 PM
DavidG

wrote:

[...]

Chicken Wire will need to be buried at least a foot down and firmly anchored
or they will dig it up/dig under it.
They will jump 6 foot fences quite easily.

Old 01-09-2003, 07:24 PM
len brauer

g'day reg,

i've used our own urine when they came in and started digging in my
vege gardens, that put them off the scent so to say.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/
Old 01-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

~A question from a newbie to this group, who to be honest doesn't do much
~gardening!
~
~I have a problem with foxes, digging the lawn up, chewing holes in the

net
~of childrens' football goal and fouling all over the place.
~
~What makes this inevitable is our neighbour feeding them chicken every
~night.
Deliberately? I guess if you consider them a pest or health hazard you
could call environmental health but as many folk have said on this
group, it would mean a dispute with your neighbour.
Can you not google about to get health facts on foxes and then go
round to speak with them on the matter? You may be able to persuade
them with facts.

And while you are about it.get the facts on cats as well. You might then be
able to make a balanced decision between cats and foxes.

[snip]

Franz

Old 01-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Reg" wrote in message
A question from a newbie to this group, who to be honest doesn't do much
gardening!

I have a problem with foxes, digging the lawn up, chewing holes in the net
of childrens' football goal and fouling all over the place.

What makes this inevitable is our neighbour feeding them chicken every
night.

Are there any methods of deterring them from entering our garden?

I expect there are substances that deter them by smell. We have cats and
obviously don't want them affected.

Why not? Every dead cat of nearby cat-owners is one less nuisance in my
garden.

Franz

Old 01-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Julian Mamo

"Reg" wrote in message
A question from a newbie to this group, who to be honest doesn't do much
gardening!

I have a problem with foxes, digging the lawn up, chewing holes in the net
of childrens' football goal and fouling all over the place.

What makes this inevitable is our neighbour feeding them chicken every
night.

Are there any methods of deterring them from entering our garden?

I expect there are substances that deter them by smell. We have cats and
obviously don't want them affected.

Ant advice welcome.

Thanks

Try a light source such as a cheap hurricane lamp and a large mirror that is
free to rotate on a thin rope. The hardest bit is drilling the glass.
This is an old gamekeepers trick for keeping the rearing field fox free.
No great science, just fix up so that mirror keep picking up some light and
bouncing it around.
Julian

Old 01-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Reg" contains these words:

A question from a newbie to this group, who to be honest doesn't do much
gardening!

I have a problem with foxes, digging the lawn up, chewing holes in the net
of childrens' football goal and fouling all over the place.

What makes this inevitable is our neighbour feeding them chicken every
night.

Are there any methods of deterring them from entering our garden?

A ·243" is quite effective...........

I expect there are substances that deter them by smell. We have cats and
obviously don't want them affected.

Much more likely to be killed by the foxes. Unfortunately I know of
nothing which deters them - wish I did. We shoot somewhere between
thirty and forty of them on the shoot each year.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to
Old 01-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Steve Harris

Organic solution:

- Strangle the neighbours