Old 04-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Janet Tweedy

Default tree recommendations wanted

I am sure someone out there can suggest a suitable tree for our front
garden to replace the cherry which is now about 50 years old and has
succumbed to a virus (brought on by the cable installations down out
road)

The front garden is about 30 foot long and about 40 foot wide (no idea
of metric measurements!) The tree is almost on the boundary west
boundary about 15 foot from the house but has never caused any problems.
We like it because it gives shade in the summer due to the fact that our
front wall faces south.

The cherry is directly over the drains but again no problems. We have
clay and slightly alkaline soil with loads and loads of flint. No doubt
chalk some way down due to us being in the Chiltern area.

Hedges on boundaries are hawthorn and about 8 feet high.

Thought of a multi stemmed jaquemontii but would like a reasonable
height, not the dreaded Robinia (false looking thing)

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 04-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Mike Lyle

Janet Tweedy wrote in message ...
[...]

A malus floribunda would be in keeping with the "natural"-sounding
site. Or a standard orchard apple looks beautiful in bloom: I don't
really know why people don't use them as ornamentals (too slow for
today's taste, perhaps). Or a self-fertile plum or a damson (you'd
need to change the soil a bit after the fowering cherry, of course). I
love the gnarly shapes mulberries grow into, but I know they make a
mess.

Mike.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0rtsd.1jpv6fyefxn5sN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Janet Tweedy wrote:

[...]

Why not.. Its very easily prunable to keep it to a good shape.. Someone
up the road has one and its responded beautifully to pruning.

Suggest

Hiller colour Dictionary for ideas.
And also the Lappen catalogue. www.lappen.de for a copy.
How about a small Acacia from Eucalyptus.co.uk They are in Wales so
would be able to advise as to hardiness.
Beautiful feather foiliage, lovely flowers.

A small dogwood (Cornus)

I seem to remember one of the Snakebark Maple's makes a VERY attractive
small tree as well.

I have a snakebark maple. It is very attractive in winter when the bark
shows up well, but it is less impressive in summer when it is in full leaf.

Franz

Old 07-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article
1g0rtsd.1jpv6fyefxn5sN%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net, Jim W
writes

Hiller colour Dictionary for ideas.

Been through most of my RHS and other Plant books but they don't tell
you the 'best' and worst' about the trees and actually having them in
the garden!

How about a small Acacia from Eucalyptus.co.uk

Not very 'normal' though and prickly from what I remember.

A small dogwood (Cornus)

Too small Jim Would have liked something about 20 foot tall I think
(eventually)

I seem to remember one of the Snakebark Maple's makes a VERY attractive
small tree as well.

Got one of those (grew it from seed) but unless slow growing and not
very shady in my soil.

As its south facing you could push one of the more exotic fruits.. How
about a slow growing Poncirus or something!-)

Got two of them in pots, very very slow growing and both still under 2
foot

If if was me I'd certainly be looking at the Agroforestry Research Trust
Catalogue for ideas and maybe Clive Simm's etc for more;-)
//
Jim

Thanks Jim I'll look there.

janet

Old 07-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Mike Lyle
writes

A malus floribunda would be in keeping with the "natural"-sounding
site. Or a standard orchard apple looks beautiful in bloom: I don't
really know why people don't use them as ornamentals (too slow for
today's taste, perhaps). Or a self-fertile plum or a damson (you'd
need to change the soil a bit after the fowering cherry, of course). I
love the gnarly shapes mulberries grow into, but I know they make a
mess.

Mike.

Grown a mulberry from seed, now chopped to five foot and allowed to grow
it's six foot of branches every year.
Would the damson or plum be a bit messy? Would it affect the drains?

janet

Old 07-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Mike Lyle

Janet Tweedy wrote in message ...
In article , Mike Lyle
writes

[...]
Or a self-fertile plum or a damson (you'd
need to change the soil a bit after the fowering cherry, of course).[...]

Grown a mulberry from seed, now chopped to five foot and allowed to grow
it's six foot of branches every year.
Would the damson or plum be a bit messy? Would it affect the drains?

You mean you wouldn't pick them? Gosh! But, no, they wouldn't be as
messy as mulberries. If you leave them on the ground you'll have a
plague of wasps, though. I don't think plum trees are much of problem
with spreading roots; but I wouldn't plant any tree on top of a drain.

Mike.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0rtsd.1jpv6fyefxn5sN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

[snip]

How about a small Acacia from Eucalyptus.co.uk

I am not aware of any acacia which is really hardy.

Franz

Old 08-09-2003, 04:05 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article
1g0x853.1js4tkh1vbmfh5N%00senetnospamtodayta@macu nlimited.net, Jim W
writes

Not very 'normal' though and prickly from what I remember.

Dunno but if you really want I could go up the Road in a week or 2 and
take piccies.. Its very very attractive.. Feathery foiliage, bronzed
tips in spring,.. yellow flowers..

Yes I know what it's like, I took one out of the garden when I moved
here 30 years ago. I prefer to stick with fairly normal trees for
Britain just because it gives the insects and birds something to feed on
generally, but thanks for the offer Jim.

A small dogwood (Cornus)

Too small Jim Would have liked something about 20 foot tall I think
(eventually)

LOL OK.. How small is small!-)

Well to me Cornus is small because if you want the red stems you must
prune at least a third of them out every year and even the larger
cornuses (ii?) aren't going to shade our living room very much I've
got about four dogwoods but are you thinking of a specific one?

As its south facing you could push one of the more exotic fruits.. How
about a slow growing Poncirus or something!-)

Got two of them in pots, very very slow growing and both still under 2
foot

They are aren't they..

And they never flower!

Old 08-09-2003, 04:05 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Janet Tweedy wrote in message
In article , Mike Lyle
writes

[...]
Or a self-fertile plum or a damson (you'd
need to change the soil a bit after the fowering cherry, of course).[...]

Grown a mulberry from seed, now chopped to five foot and allowed to grow
it's six foot of branches every year.
Would the damson or plum be a bit messy? Would it affect the drains?

You mean you wouldn't pick them? Gosh! But, no, they wouldn't be as
messy as mulberries. If you leave them on the ground you'll have a
plague of wasps, though.

No wasps just butterflies getting drunk on the rotting fruit that
dripped into the water barrels. Told the tale of my mulberry often on
this group so won't bore anyone again suffice to say I would NEVER grow
a mulberry again and it would certainly go for the drains and heave up
the foundations on my house!

I don't think plum trees are much of problem
with spreading roots; but I wouldn't plant any tree on top of a drain.

Mike.

Well it looks like someone did about 45 years ago or maybe longer
because the wild cherry tree was here and all of 35 or 40 foot when we
moved in and it has never rooted into the drains up till now. Presumably
the drains were put in after the roots had spread out so that only
anchor roots were in the vicinity and the feeder roots were actually
further away?

janet

Old 08-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

Well to me Cornus is small because if you want the red stems you must prune at
least a third of them out every year and even the larger cornuses (ii?) aren't
going to shade our living room very much I've got about four dogwoods but are
you thinking of a specific one?

Cornuses aren't just about red stems! There are many species, grown for
showy white bracts, berries, or elegance of form. Try for a start C.
kousa, nuttali, mas

I've only just come into this thread, but picked up you want a 20ft tree
and would prefer a british native for the wildlife - have you considered
whitebeam? Opening leaves show their white undersides and look like huge
white tulips, then you have white flowers, and berries in the autumn.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 08-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

No wasps just butterflies getting drunk on the rotting fruit that dripped into
the water barrels. Told the tale of my mulberry often on this group so won't
bore anyone again suffice to say I would NEVER grow a mulberry again and it
would certainly go for the drains and heave up the foundations on my house!

I really don't know what was up with your mulberry. They're not known to
be fast growing and mine certainly isn't, and no trouble with rotting
fruit - it's too delicious and gets eaten straight away. Not at all the
insipid berries you've described.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 08-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0xsz5.1vdh6vxfhrneoN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Franz Heymann wrote:

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0rtsd.1jpv6fyefxn5sN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

[snip]

How about a small Acacia from Eucalyptus.co.uk

I am not aware of any acacia which is really hardy.

Franz

Well I am in London. The tree in Q is an Acacia (not mock or false) but
is in a NW facing garden at the op of a hill. So frost and drainage not
a 'major' problem. Eg water and frost drainage are sharp. We do get
frost but it is mild by comparison to outer lying areas..

Point is this tree has been growing quite happily last 4 -5 years.. So
it must have SOME hardiness. Hence I recommended contacting Celyn Vale
who would advise.

False Acacia is a Robinia. That is not what I was thinking about. The RHS
encyclopedia lists 10 different true Acacias. It says that in general their
minimum safe temperatures vary between 5 and 7 deg C.
So, either the encyclopedia is wrong, or the tree you are referring to iis
very lucky.

Franz

Old 09-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

I prefer to stick with fairly normal trees for
Britain just because it gives the insects and birds something to feed on
generally, but thanks for the offer Jim.

How about one of the mountain ash/sorbus family? Flowers, pretty
leaves, reliable fruit, autumn colour, feeding birds, rock hardy, no
mess, not too big, and non-invasive roots. Choose your fruit colour from
white, pinks, reds, yellows, gold, orange.

Janet.