Old 04-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Mark B

Default Echinops (Globe Thistle)

I have some seed head globes.
I would like some advice on when,where, how etc., with regards to
propagating them.

Thank you

mark b

Old 04-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Bevan Price

"Mark B" wrote in message
I have some seed head globes.
I would like some advice on when,where, how etc., with regards to
propagating them.

Thank you

mark b

In my garden (fairly dry sandy soil) they self-propagate freely from seeds
dropped by the previous year's plants. Try leaving the seeds in the garden
where you want them to grow, possibly covering them with a light sprinkling
of soil to stop birds eating them all.

Bevan

Old 05-09-2003, 02:25 AM
Mark B

"Bevan Price" wrote in message

"Mark B" wrote in message
I have some seed head globes.
I would like some advice on when,where, how etc., with regards to
propagating them.

Thank you

mark b

In my garden (fairly dry sandy soil) they self-propagate freely from seeds
dropped by the previous year's plants. Try leaving the seeds in the garden
where you want them to grow, possibly covering them with a light

sprinkling
of soil to stop birds eating them all.

Bevan

Bevan
Thanks for replying. One more thing, do the seeds look like just a husk with
no clearly defined seed?

mark b

Old 06-09-2003, 02:15 AM
Scott L. Hadley

Each of the prickly spines in the round seed globe is a seed, and for
me the globes just suddely fall apart early in the fall, dropping seed
where they may, as Bevan replied to you.

But my problem with any of this is that the offspring are always
larger, coarser, greener things, not nearly the metallic blue and
scale size of the parent. Apt to be weedy. In other words, at least
for me, they don't breed true, so I never let them self-sow any more.

Old 07-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Bevan Price

"Mark B" wrote in message
I have some seed head globes.
I would like some advice on when,where, how etc., with regards to
propagating them.

Thank you

mark b

In my garden (fairly dry sandy soil) they self-propagate freely from

seeds
dropped by the previous year's plants. Try leaving the seeds in the

garden
where you want them to grow, possibly covering them with a light

sprinkling
of soil to stop birds eating them all.

Bevan

Bevan
Thanks for replying. One more thing, do the seeds look like just a husk

with
no clearly defined seed?

mark b

I assume so - if you mean the spike-shaped objects that drop off the flower
head, after the small blue flowers have faded - although I have never
dissected a "husk" to check if there was a small seed inside the "husk".

Bevan