Old 05-09-2003, 07:23 AM
fs news

Default Sending bulbs to America?

Does anyone know (stupid question) if you can send bulbs to America or are
such imports forbidden?

Where can I lookup the rules etc. on such exports?

Thanks in anticipation.
Brian

Old 05-09-2003, 08:04 AM
David Hill

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Mark B

"fs news" wrote in message
Does anyone know (stupid question) if you can send bulbs to America or are
such imports forbidden?

I don't think there is a problem in sending bulbs but they won't be
compatible with their electricity or fittings.

mark b :-)

Old 05-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 07:02:36 +0100, fs news wrote:

Does anyone know (stupid question) if you can send bulbs to America or are
such imports forbidden?

Where can I lookup the rules etc. on such exports?

AFAIK, the rules are so demanding as to be impractical for
private shipments. Canada is, I believe, even worse.

Unscrupulous, law-defying, criminally inclined persons have been
known to accidentally put the wrong customs label on their
shipments, stating the contents to be "baby clothes,
home-knitting only, no commercial value". "Oh, dear, I the wrong
package!"

Be sure to scrupulously clean your bulbs of all soil and do not
send, even mislabelled, if destructive nematodes are a problem in
the area where the bulbs were grown.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 05-09-2003, 06:22 PM
bnd777

"fs news" wrote in message
Does anyone know (stupid question) if you can send bulbs to America or are
such imports forbidden?

Where can I lookup the rules etc. on such exports?

Thanks in anticipation.
Brian

YOU CANNOT import/send into the USA any product of Agriculture unless it has
special clearance
I suspect this will cost you a packet

Old 06-09-2003, 06:33 PM
Ron

Does anyone know (stupid question) if you can send bulbs to America or are
such imports forbidden?

I do not know about America in general but if one even buys only an apple in
California, drives into Nevada then goes back into Cal.; they'll have your
guts for garters if the borders guards catch you at it!

Ron

Old 07-09-2003, 05:17 AM
Culturalenigma

"Ron" wrote in message

Does anyone know (stupid question) if you can send bulbs to America or

are
such imports forbidden?

I do not know about America in general but if one even buys only an apple

in
California, drives into Nevada then goes back into Cal.; they'll have your
guts for garters if the borders guards catch you at it!

Ron

I will check on this for you - but the buying of an apple thing isn't
true....we dont' have border guards between states and it's produce from
Mexico and outside the us that can be confiscated due to parasites and
diseases which we may have eradicated here but could be started again with a
bit of infected plant.

Let me check the federal laws on teh bulb sending. I'll get back to you .

Trai

Old 07-09-2003, 12:24 PM
IntarsiaCo

An import permit is not required for importing small quantities of "bulbs" by
the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) unless you are importing in
commercial quantities.

All plants, bulbs, and seeds must be accompanied by Phytosanitary Certificates
from the originating country. Correct identifications of all materials with the
botanical names, including both Genus and species names, are required. The
requirements are actually quite easy to satisfy.

Old 07-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Ron Clark

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 13:20:58 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

We went from Hawaii back to LA last
year and there were strict rules prohibiting taking any foodstuffs back to
the mainland and our luggage was X rayed to check we had none and no plant
material, either. Some small plants could be bought and all had a
phytosanitary cert.

I will need to be convinced that vegetative matter can possibly
show up on an x-ray. I just don't believe it.

--
®óñ© © ²°°³
Old 07-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Aphodius

"Ron" asked:.

Does anyone know (stupid question) if you can send bulbs to America or
are such imports forbidden?

---
Last year I sent a selection of bulbs by air mail to my son in America. I
was told at a PO here in the UK that if I washed any soil from them, they
should reach him. I did and they were delivered to him, unopened.

Aphodius

Old 07-09-2003, 05:43 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 00:16:48 -0400, Culturalenigma wrote:

"Ron" wrote:

I do not know about America in general but if one even buys only an apple
in
California, drives into Nevada then goes back into Cal.; they'll have your
guts for garters if the borders guards catch you at it!

I will check on this for you - but the buying of an apple thing isn't
true....we dont' have border guards between states and it's produce from
Mexico and outside the us that can be confiscated due to parasites and
diseases which we may have eradicated here but could be started again with a
bit of infected plant.

Let me check the federal laws on teh bulb sending. I'll get back to you .

California has agricultural inspection at all highway entry
points into the state. I'm pretty sure an apple would be
confiscated if bought in CA, taken to NV and brought back.
Agriculture is an very important element in the Californian
economy and the state government doesn't mess around in their
efforts to keep pests at bay. No hand-wringing bleeding-heart
crap in this regard! Geography largely isolates California from
other agricultural areas, so there are many pests that they don't
have there and they want to keep it that way.

Those with long memories may remember the aggressive campaign
against the Mediterranean fruitfly when there was an outbreak of
it in southern California 10 or 20 years ago.

Indeed, there are many nurseries elsewhere in the United States
that do not ship to Washington, Oregon, or California because of
those states' agricultural regulations.

Old 08-09-2003, 03:42 AM
Culturalenigma

I do not know about America in general but if one even buys only an
apple
in
California, drives into Nevada then goes back into Cal.; they'll have

your
guts for garters if the borders guards catch you at it!

Ron

I will check on this for you - but the buying of an apple thing isn't
true....

but you do have specially trained dogs that search for fruit at LA
airport. I saw a Dutch guy get caught with an apple in his duty free
bag.
--
Martin

Yea, but that's not interstate travel. He had to be coming from out of the
country, even Canadian imports can get seized.

trai