Old 05-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Phil & Diane Martin

Default slow worms

some of our allotments are under threat by housing developers.Nothing new
there I hear you say,,however the sites have slow worms on them.I thought
slow worms were protected species in the UK.Does anyone have any idea if I
am right and if so who do I contact to stop the building going ahead.

Thanks in advance

Diane and Phil

Old 05-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Phil & Diane Martin

we are in Kent and have no idea who to contact,any help would be greatly
appreciated
"Malcolm Ogilvie" wrote in message

In article , Phil &
Diane Martin writes
some of our allotments are under threat by housing developers.Nothing new
there I hear you say,,however the sites have slow worms on them.I thought
slow worms were protected species in the UK.Does anyone have any idea if

am right and if so who do I contact to stop the building going ahead.

Yes, they are protected and it is an offence to kill or injure them.

Like the poster asking about bats, you don't say where you live, but in
all cases where anyone thinks a protected animal or plant is under
threat get in touch with the nearest office of the relevant country
conservation agency. You'll find them in every phone book.

England - English Nature
Scotland - Scottish Natural Heritage
Wales - Countryside Council for Wales
Northern Ireland - Department of the Environment for Northern Ireland

--
Malcolm Ogilvie

Old 05-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Phil &
Diane Martin writes
we are in Kent and have no idea who to contact,any help would be greatly
appreciated

Look up 'English nature' in the phone book.

[...]

Edward's earthworm page:

Slow Worms Have a Bite!!!! Jake United Kingdom 19 12-05-2011 04:27 PM
slow worms Ann Lancing United Kingdom 1 21-09-2010 04:48 PM
slow worms Ann Lancing United Kingdom 2 18-09-2010 11:32 PM
slow worms Kate Morgan United Kingdom 7 13-08-2006 03:49 PM
Slow worms in my compost bin ... Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat United Kingdom 6 03-09-2004 01:57 PM