GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   storing chillis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/42276-storing-chillis.html)

mart 06-09-2003 01:15 AM

storing chillis

hi all

my chilli pepper plant has done rather well and produced more than chillis
than we can comfortably eat straight away . what is the best way to store
these chillis for later use in the cold winter/autumn to come ?

tia

mart

Andy 06-09-2003 06:23 AM

storing chillis

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 01:12:08 +0100, "mart" wrote:

my chilli pepper plant has done rather well and produced more than chillis
than we can comfortably eat straight away . what is the best way to store
these chillis for later use in the cold winter/autumn to come ?

Dried or pickled. Traditional method for drying is thread them on
cotton and hang in the sun. I just lay them on newspaper in a warm
place. Big one's are nice pickled in clear vinegar.

Andy

Mike Lyle 06-09-2003 10:02 AM

storing chillis

"mart" wrote in message ...
hi all

my chilli pepper plant has done rather well and produced more than chillis
than we can comfortably eat straight away . what is the best way to store
these chillis for later use in the cold winter/autumn to come ?

The classic method is to dry them, but I just freeze them. No
blanching, just straight in. I like to keep half of them green. I
sometimes also pickle a jarful in vinegar: one makes a nice little
relish on the side of your plate, especially when you have to cook a
dish milder than you normally do.

A nice traditional condiment which makes a good Christmas present is
pepper wine. Put as many green chillies as you like -- say 10 -- in a
half-bottle, and top up with medium dry sherry. Supermarket's own
brand cheapest sherry is fine for this. Much smarter than Tabasco.
Keeps for years if not used up. Make a pretty label, by hand or
computer, if you're giving it away.

A blast of this pepper wine in a cup of hot Bovril works wonders when
you come in out the garden on a raw day.

Mike.

Colin Malsingh 06-09-2003 08:22 PM

storing chillis

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 01:12:08 +0100, "mart" wrote:
what is the best way to store
these chillis for later use in the cold winter/autumn to come ?

Just put them straight in the freezer.

Zero effort, maximum convenience when you next need some. No
impairment to taste.

Enjoy!

Colin
-----
(Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)